raising my wheel

Several people have mentioned throwing with a raised wheel. Since this sounds less wearing on the back, I'm wondering if some who throw from a raised wheel could give guidance on how the height of a raised wheel relates to their throwing positions. I could easily manage a platform to raise the wheel, but I don't have a clue where to start with dimensions. I have an older Brent model B wheel, and wonder if there are other adjustments that would need to be made. Thanks for any input.

I have two bricks under each wheel leg. My stool is adjustable, and the seat is about the same height as my wheel head. Having everything elevated means I do not have to flex my arthritic knees so much. I think it helps my back more if I remember to flex from the hip rather than hunching over the wheel.

Getting ideas from other potters is a good idea. Then try some things and find what works for you.

Like Mark, I have a Brent CXC. I developed hip pain in my right hip this year. My buddy Steve, also a potter, told me to raise my wheel up so I could throw standing up. Tried it-didn't like it, or could not get used to it. I raised the wheel up one brick high, and put bats on my chair to the level of the wheel head. I also raised up where I put my pot boards[on two five gallon pails on top of each other]. I like the new height, but will probably go with cinder blocks under the wheel. Problem is that I only have two right now. I have saved a lot of wear and tear on my hip. Should have done it long ago.

TJR.huh.gif

Don't know what that emotocon means, but I am trying to use them all.wink.gif

I have two of those stools-I really like them for throwing-it tilts forward and has great back support. It does not have rollers so it stays put. Its an unusual shape and is not for everyone.

It swivels easy so getting off it is a breeze. These also go up and down with a lever so you can get them just the right hieght. As to my trimming wheeel I like a stoll that rolls out of the way so I use an ofice chair there with wheels.

I bought my STI's used from potters who did not use them.

Mark

I have Brent booties on two of my wheels they raise the wheel just enough to fit my chairs.

The chair is super important-I use the tilted STI stool

http://www.bigcerami...airs/stools.htm

Mark

Mark, what about the tilted stool is better? I am interested in that stool also, but it's pricy.

Tilted stool, chair , box..... It's all about eronomics......trying to impove your body position which is far fom neutral alignment while hunched over a wheel. A tilted wheel actually opens up hip position.......

The past 40 years sitting at a wheel on a wood stump-steel tractor seat-office chairs of all types(older are better)-wood bench-pillow top chairs-buckets-wood chairs with legs trimmed down in front-I have gone thru many a seat.

The sSTI Tilted stool- It's all about eronomics......trying to impove your body position as stated above.

Everyone will have a different take on the stool-mine is this stool-for me its the best so far out of all that I have tried-its not going to work for everyone.

Mark

I have Brent booties on two of my wheels they raise the wheel just enough to fit my chairs.

The chair is super important-I use the tilted STI stool

http://www.bigcerami...airs/stools.htm

Mark

Mark, what about the tilted stool is better? I am interested in that stool also, but it's pricy.

Try putting a 2x4 under the back two legs of the stool you have.

Archived