#1 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

There is a large deposit of purple-colored bentonite in my local area. I know that most of the time bentonite is limited to no more than 1 -2 % in glazes and clay bodies. Has anyone ever experimented with bentonite as the main clay body? If I were to make up a bentonite clay body, could I make up a glaze with higher bentonite % that would match the shrinkage of the clay body without shivering or crazing? The clay also has fine particles of vermiculite which may produce a gold flecking appearance in a glaze/

Would it be worth the experimental time?

Jed

#2 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

There is a large deposit of purple-colored bentonite in my local area. I know that most of the time bentonite is limited to no more than 1 -2 % in glazes and clay bodies. Has anyone ever experimented with bentonite as the main clay body? If I were to make up a bentonite clay body, could I make up a glaze with higher bentonite % that would match the shrinkage of the clay body without shivering or crazing? The clay also has fine particles of vermiculite which may produce a gold flecking appearance in a glaze/

Would it be worth the experimental time?

Jed

If the majority clay is bentonite I think it would be a sticky mess of a clay but it would still be worth the time to see what it does.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users