matching bentonite clay body and glaze

There is a large deposit of purple-colored bentonite in my local area. I know that most of the time bentonite is limited to no more than 1 -2 % in glazes and clay bodies. Has anyone ever experimented with bentonite as the main clay body? If I were to make up a bentonite clay body, could I make up a glaze with higher bentonite % that would match the shrinkage of the clay body without shivering or crazing? The clay also has fine particles of vermiculite which may produce a gold flecking appearance in a glaze/

Would it be worth the experimental time?

Jed

There is a large deposit of purple-colored bentonite in my local area. I know that most of the time bentonite is limited to no more than 1 -2 % in glazes and clay bodies. Has anyone ever experimented with bentonite as the main clay body? If I were to make up a bentonite clay body, could I make up a glaze with higher bentonite % that would match the shrinkage of the clay body without shivering or crazing? The clay also has fine particles of vermiculite which may produce a gold flecking appearance in a glaze/

Would it be worth the experimental time?

Jed

If the majority clay is bentonite I think it would be a sticky mess of a clay but it would still be worth the time to see what it does.

Jim

Archived