Glaze Discontinued

bethalli

I have been making plates, platters, bowls for over 20 years. I use a lowfire white clay, (Laguna Em210) slab method. I use Duncan and Western underglazes painted on the greenware and bisque fired to cone 03. I had always used Duncan Diamond Clear glaze with perfect results fired to cone 06. The company discontinued this glaze and it has been a nightmare sense. Looking for a clear low fire food safe glaze??? Have tested different kinds of glazes and have been trying different tempetures for firing 03, 04, 05 bisque and 06, 05, even 04, for glazes. None of the glazes I have tested is a brilliantly clear as before. With Duncans new replacement glaze I have been having shivering with certian underglazes colors now, underglaze incompatability now, Sometimes bubbling over black colors. I have tested all three kilns they are fine.

I am open for suggestion that any one may have. Clay? Glaze? Firing temp?

Thank you for your time.

I have been making plates, platters, bowls for over 20 years. I use a lowfire white clay, (Laguna Em210) slab method. I use Duncan and Western underglazes painted on the greenware and bisque fired to cone 03. I had always used Duncan Diamond Clear glaze with perfect results fired to cone 06. The company discontinued this glaze and it has been a nightmare sense. Looking for a clear low fire food safe glaze??? Have tested different kinds of glazes and have been trying different tempetures for firing 03, 04, 05 bisque and 06, 05, even 04, for glazes. None of the glazes I have tested is a brilliantly clear as before. With Duncans new replacement glaze I have been having shivering with certian underglazes colors now, underglaze incompatability now, Sometimes bubbling over black colors. I have tested all three kilns they are fine.

Thank you for your time.

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

The perfect 04 Clear Gloss

Add 10% Zircopax for white

I have the same problem but I'm not sure what these are

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

is is it a glaze formula, or an additive. where can I get these items? I googled and got lost...

I'm a total newbie who has only used comercial glazes before so any help is greatly appreciated

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

is is it a glaze formula, or an additive. where can I get these items? I googled and got lost...

I'm a total newbie who has only used comercial glazes before so any help is greatly appreciated

Hi, it is a glaze formula that Matt Katz very kindly shared with me. I had my local ceramic supply shop mix it up. So far no luck with testing on 04 bisque - 04 glaze, testing 03 bisque with 04 glaze next will let you know. Were you using the Duncan Diamond Clear? If you decided to go with the Duncan Clear Brilliance I have had the best luck with bisque 05 and glaze at 05. Still searching and testing! Good luck to you

Yes, had been using Duncan diamond clear Dip n Done GL 612D for 25 years...so far the closest I have come to it is Mayco crystal clear but I had got the brushing glaze so I thinned it out but have yet to try the dipping.

Duncan Clear Brilliance is OK but my first test I did I had a relay go out and my load took an extra 5 hours so I had some that looked ok some not so good. I still get a bit of milkiness type look to it but I'm experimenting with some non toxic glaze mixing on test pieces but I'll have to make sure it's ok by reading the ingredients (all non toxic lead free) of all the mixes I'm using

Thank you for your time.

Have you contacted Duncan to tell them your problems with their replacement? Their technical support may have ideas to help. It may spur them to adjust their recipe as well to work with your clays. and underglazes.

Yes, had been using Duncan diamond clear Dip n Done GL 612D for 25 years...so far the closest I have come to it is Mayco crystal clear but I had got the brushing glaze so I thinned it out but have yet to try the dipping.

Duncan Clear Brilliance is OK but my first test I did I had a relay go out and my load took an extra 5 hours so I had some that looked ok some not so good. I still get a bit of milkiness type look to it but I'm experimenting with some non toxic glaze mixing on test pieces but I'll have to make sure it's ok by reading the ingredients (all non toxic lead free) of all the mixes I'm using

Fire the Clear Brilliance cone 05 helps with the milkness good luck

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your time.

I've been experiencing the same thing on a red tinted clay. Has anyone come up with a glaze recipe? I understand it is OK to have someone mix a glaze with lead that is food safe but this type of glaze will not be commercially available. Any help would be appreciated.

I have been using Spectrum Low Fire Clear #700 for years. It's a brush on glaze, although there are additives you can get to make it suitable for dipping. I also have many recipes for ^04-^03 glazes, most of which I have not tested extensively. My one caution is watch the gerstley borate, it yellows over white bodies.

I have been using Spectrum Low Fire Clear #700 for years. It's a brush on glaze, although there are additives you can get to make it suitable for dipping. I also have many recipes for ^04-^03 glazes, most of which I have not tested extensively. My one caution is watch the gerstley borate, it yellows over white bodies.

Thank you so much I will try the spectrum #700.

• 2 months later...

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

Hi, it is a glaze formula that Matt Katz very kindly shared with me. I had my local ceramic supply shop mix it up. So far no luck with testing on 04 bisque - 04 glaze, testing 03 bisque with 04 glaze next will let you know. Were you using the Duncan Diamond Clear? If you decided to go with the Duncan Clear Brilliance I have had the best luck with bisque 05 and glaze at 05. Still searching and testing! Good luck to you

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

Curious to know whether this glaze was successful over underglazes. I have a pinholing problem with my leadless clear. Have you been able to test it yet?

90%- frit 3124

10%-EPK

Curious to know whether this glaze was successful over underglazes. I have a pinholing problem with my leadless clear. Have you been able to test it yet?

Hi Kathy, did not have luck with this glaze. The best thing I found so far is I changed my low fire clay To Clay Planet low fire white, still use the Duncan underglazes and using the clear brilliance (Duncan) and firing bisque 05 and glaze 05. Still having some problems with certian underglaze colors and thoes pieces are shivering.

Archived