stencilling

Hi , Im doing a lot of stencilling onto clay using hand cut stencils from newspaper. However even though I wait until dry to remove they are still 'leaking' under the stencil and so not getting a nice crisp line. I spray the newspaper first lightly with water to make it stick better.

Any help or suggestions appreciatedsad.gif

Julia

Hi , Im doing a lot of stencilling onto clay using hand cut stencils from newspaper. However even though I wait until dry to remove they are still 'leaking' under the stencil and so not getting a nice crisp line. I spray the newspaper first lightly with water to make it stick better.

Julia

I would say, that the moisture, from the wet newspaper, is causing the glaze and/ or underglaze to bleed under. Generally, when I use a paper stencil, I just dab the glaze/ underglaze, along the edge of the stencil, which holds it in place nicely. The water in said glaze/ underglazes seep through the paper to let it adhere, without being so wet, as to let the coloring seep with it.

Julia

one option that I do is to use heavier stencils made out of poster board or old clay bags and then cover stencil edges with a layer of slip that matches the clay body before using underglazes, colored slips or glazes. I haven't had any problems with leaking under the stencil. Also the heavier stencil material ensures that I can remove all of it and not get any bits left behind.

Hi, I have done a fair amount of using underglazes over stencils. I use computer paper, dip the stencil in water for about 10 seconds, let the paper sit a couple minutes then stick it on the pot. This works for nearly dry pots the best, bone dry and the stencil will want to peel off. Once the stencil is in place I use a damp sponge and seal the stencil all around the edges to the pot. I use spectrum underglazes, 3 coats brushed on, very rarely get a bleed through. (don't use scrap laser printed paper, residue will transfer to pot)

picture of couple cups using this method:

Min

post-747-136752435463_thumb.jpg

post-747-136752435463_thumb.jpg

I cut stencils from used Tyvek envelopes (or buy new ones if you don't have used ones). It's thin and strong and can be reused over and over.....just wash off and let dry. I'm a handbuilder so I usually roll the stencil onto freshly rolled out slabs using a pony roller, then apply the slip or underglaze. When the sheen is off, pull the stencil, wash off and store for reuse.

Archived