How is it possible to hand-build a lid like this from slabs?

Look at the lid on this teapot, I consider it to be a good example of a "standard" yixing shui ping hu style teapot (the kind made by the millions during the cultural revolution) :

brown-yixing-pot-M.jpg

Here is a lid I admire a bit more:

teapot_yixing_lu-ding_zhuni_fzj_xxx_side_800x800.jpg

it's more crisp, also there is a clear lip ridge for the lid to rest on on the teapot body.

1990s-mao-mei-zhen-zi-qie-ni-ge-zui-shui-ping-30ml-1.jpg

less, complex but look at the curve in the lid.

Then there is this:

catphoto.jpg

*weeps softly* whisper: so perfect

The last one is not really what I'm going for here, though. I'm not there yet... not even close. I just need some ideas for making these lids!

Right now what I can do is make a clay cylinder this is the part of the lid that would go *inside* of the pot. On top of that cylinder I put a round slab that is the saem size as the top of my teapot. Then I cut a hole in the pot body that fits the "inside bit" and fit the lid... here are some photos of me doing that:

aaaaaaaateapots6.jpg

This is hollow. FYI.

aaaaaaaateapots7.jpg

After I fit the lid I carve out the inside of the "inside bit." This gives me a basic lid.

So... How can I make it more like the ones I posted? I have tried:

1. Stack slabs of decreasing size, then smooth on the banding wheel but this is too lumpy and not the right shape at all.

2. make a thick slab, cut it in a circle then try to carve the shape. ... this isn't symmetrical enough... symmetry in yixing potter comes from tapping, rolling and from using things like a compass or banding wheel... are there any other sources of circular symmetry for slab builders?

3. Rolling a ball then cutting of the top and trying to go from there. (this might have promise still)

I'm thinking

1. I'll put a super thin slab on top of the pot to make a lip-- then cut through both when I fit it.

2. look for something that can cut that shape?

Any ideas?? How would you make it without a wheel?

I guess I would start with pinch pot or hammer and anvil technique, wait until it is leather and scrape smooth inside and out.

Dear All,

I am not sure if this is what is done but if they aren't using a mold, I would take something like some plastic and lay it across the opening in the pot. I would them take a small slab and lay it over the opening. Once it has slumped sufficiently and dried to a little past leather hard, I would remove this piece. You should have the general impression plus a little bit of an edge on the outside. I think it is just a matter of some clean-up after that and maybe adding a coil around the edge?? The slumping should provide you with an exact size lid for the opening. A coil could be added for an inner flange. Just a guess.

Nelly

Thanks! I have already watched this video and several others. Sadly, this one cuts off before she makes the lid (though it shows part of how she makes a kind of lip...) though I don't think her pot will have the shui ping hu style lid- it's in more of a xi she (round beauty) style.

I also bought a video, it shows the simple lid style I made above.

Still, can't hurt to watch again... she's a master!

I guess I would start with pinch pot or hammer and anvil technique, wait until it is leather and scrape smooth inside and out.

Dear All,

I am not sure if this is what is done but if they aren't using a mold, I would take something like some plastic and lay it across the opening in the pot. I would them take a small slab and lay it over the opening. Once it has slumped sufficiently and dried to a little past leather hard, I would remove this piece. You should have the general impression plus a little bit of an edge on the outside. I think it is just a matter of some clean-up after that and maybe adding a coil around the edge?? The slumping should provide you with an exact size lid for the opening. A coil could be added for an inner flange. Just a guess.

Nelly

I'm going to try this.

And no it's not done with molds lol. well, the imitation pots use them.

I made the lid! TThat idea bout "draping" worked!

Though, I'm worried about the air trapped in there.... I need to put a hole in the lid anyway....

And I tried to draw on it a bit too. Naturally that too will take practice.

Still, I think I'll fire this one just to see how it functions if I try to brew with it!

When I get 5 decent pieces I'll go and fire them. Any tips on that process? I'm going to pay a art center to do it for me... "1100C - 1200C" is not specific enough... But that's what I was told. What cone should I ask for?

I'm planning on letting everything dry for about two weeks to avoid any moisture issues.

lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

Can you tell what this is?

lid3.jpg

Bold lines are better like sumi-e... but the clay fights back!

lid4.jpg

I'm proud of this aspect... everything is aligned correctly!

Thanks everyone has been a huge help.

Thanks! I have already watched this video and several others. Sadly, this one cuts off before she makes the lid (though it shows part of how she makes a kind of lip...) though I don't think her pot will have the shui ping hu style lid- it's in more of a xi she (round beauty) style.

I also bought a video, it shows the simple lid style I made above.

Still, can't hurt to watch again... she's a master!

The rest of the video is here

or the complete video is here

Archived