Do you feel that it is important to have a sketch book to capture ideas? | 04/30/13

Do you feel that it is important to have a sketch book to capture ideas?

I admit to having a poor memory, and I know that if it doesn't make it into the "book", it is not likely to happen... so I always have a book available to capture ideas and inspirations. I found that the most important thing is to go back and review the book.

I have a piece of paper folded up in my back pocket of my jeans. When I am at a book store looking at ceramic magazines, or books on craft, I write down glaze recipes. I often doodle teapot and casserole shapes. I own four sketchbooks-one in the car, one by my bed, one in the studio and one by the phone. I never use them although I tell my students to "sketch,sketch,sketch."

I feel like such a hypocrite, but I could always paste the hunks of paper into the book.I also draw on napkins. Not all the time, only when I am inspired.

TJR.

I usually carry multiple sketchbooks. Normally the two or three I carry is a sketchbook I throw about every stray idea, observation, life sketch or composition into, a sketchbook for graphic design work, and my ceramics and sculpture sketchbook. Sketchbooks aren't that big, about 5x7 in size and easily fit in my laptop bag. I would lie and say that I could do without them ... but that only leaves me with loose pages and sketches EVERYWHERE ... wife hates me not carrying one.

I admit to having a poor memory, and I know that if it doesn't make it into the "book", it is not likely to happen... so I always have a book available to capture ideas and inspirations. I found that the most important thing is to go back and review the book.

yes of course, to help with memory and don't lose an idea in your head. We have all this going on in our minds, it is really freeing to have it written down so we don't have to remember. I use it to work out a design. When I get stuck I can work it out several ways on paper quicker then go back and finish the piece. One thing just a quick drawing not a finished one. I also get ideas in the middle of the night have a pad to write them down, they are gone in the morning. There is a drawing Abb you can get that is free for the iPhone, I'm learning to use it. Still love the pencil and book first!! That is another thing I have learned get a book, don't use just a piece of paper, I have a book in the truck, house and studio.

I sketch ideas for pots, but not for sculpture. For some reason once I've drawn the idea for a sculpture I've lost my enthusiasm for that idea. What works for me is to write down what feeling I'm trying to evoke from the finished sculpture. Words seem to convey what I'm visualizing, and the intended outcome. Then I think about it for several weeks (or months) and just before going to sleep (every night), I visualize the finished project. Once the visualization is "set" (no wavering in holding the image), I'm ready to start.

When I was at BSU, the sculpture instructor wanted to see drawings (from all angles) before giving the okay for the project. It took me four semesters of producing the work; making the drawing from the sculpture; getting the okay; and then waiting for a couple of weeks before "doing the sculpture". He thought I was slow at presenting the drawings, but amazingly fast at producing the sculpture. Whew!

Big believer in sketching pots or you waste a lot of time making lots of mistakes. With three-D sculpture, words work better for me, and they do go in the sketchbook or Post-it notes, or napkins, or whatever is at hand.

Shirley

I carry a sketch book of all trips, hoping to find some time to use it, often not. I also carry a camera to help out, and I also carry a paint program on my reader that often get a few simple line for an idea. These are more like shorthand for ideas later; the pot is in the head, but the sketch is an index card.

I only carry an iPad now. I take many study photos of plants and flowers. I do use an app called Paper 53 on which I jot down ideas and sketch some. There are def too man ideas going through my head to trust them to ,e,ory. None of my sketches are detailed; I leave the details to emerge in the process.

Archived