drawer / cabinet pulls

Clay shrinks and will crack with the screw left in

How about using a metal screw insert in the pull. Make an oversize hole that will fit insert when fired (shrinks 12% or less)then epoxy insert into pull and screw into insert.

If you want the screw than ream out the screw hole a bunch and let shrink without screw-fire and hope it fits then-I would do the insert hole and glue.

Mark

I used epoxy putty for a while, but found it to be a bit awkward and messy, and required too much tooling and cleanup. The last batch I did with regular 2 part epoxy in the tubes. I found that if the hole was about 1/16 inch deeper than the plug, and just a hair wider, like almost no wiggle, I could put a big drop of epoxy in the hole, slide in the plug and it would squeeze just enough glue up the sides to hold it perfectly without any oozing out. Did a batch of 20 in just a couple minutes. I mark my drill bit depth with a piece of tape when making the holes.

post-32000-136735719965_thumb.jpgThis is the original sculpture for the pulls. I just finished prepping it for making a mold. when finished it'll have a short bamboo tube that carries it to the cabinet door. Sorry... I shot the photo with my Ipod, a little fuzzy.

Thank you all for your help.

I used epoxy putty for a while, but found it to be a bit awkward and messy, and required too much tooling and cleanup. The last batch I did with regular 2 part epoxy in the tubes. I found that if the hole was about 1/16 inch deeper than the plug, and just a hair wider, like almost no wiggle, I could put a big drop of epoxy in the hole, slide in the plug and it would squeeze just enough glue up the sides to hold it perfectly without any oozing out. Did a batch of 20 in just a couple minutes. I mark my drill bit depth with a piece of tape when making the holes.

never had much of a problem with mess. Roll out a coil thinner than hole, ram in the screw, compact the top edge with old credit card. File when dry. Different strokes for different folks.

Archived