Baby Handprints

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting. I have recently started a small baby ceramic handprint business, and I would like to offer the pop out prints ie 2d prints that I have seen. I was just wondering if anyone might have a suggestion on how to achieve this. I have been testing all sorts of molds, and the best luck that I have had is stamping the hand in art putty, and then wetting already moist clay and forming it into the impression and then attaching it to a plaque. I will say I have not yet fired this piece as it is still drying but I would appreciate any and all suggestions on this. My local ceramic place suggested using slip and I tried that but it was just a mess.

Thanks a Bunch

Gretch

Do you want the handprint impressed into the clay, or coming out from the surface? If they just want an imprint, piece of cake- push the hand directly into the slab. If they want the print in relief, bisque fire the original clay imprint and use it as a mold, rolling a slab into it.

Do you want the handprint impressed into the clay, or coming out from the surface? If they just want an imprint, piece of cake- push the hand directly into the slab. If they want the print in relief, bisque fire the original clay imprint and use it as a mold, rolling a slab into it.

won't the hand shrink considerably?

I don't think it would be that hard ... I could easily do it by making a clay impression (using really soft grogless clay) and before it starts to shrink make a mold of that giving one sprig mold to be an impression sprig mold, then one off of that mold to make a relief sprig mold ... 2 in one.

Or if you just need the one side ... make an algenate or ooo ... silicone cast from the clay impression then cast out about 5 or 6 sprig molds so there are back ups in case one breaks. really easy to do. ... hell doesn't even need to be plaster at that rate ... a good epoxy casting will do wonders.

just remember, doesn't need to be a primary mold ... you can make your sprig from a secondary or tertiary mold or form just as easily as from the source.

And I don't think I would ever use as round as hands, fingers or whatever are, for a primary mold ... no control over under cuts since flesh is soft and will still slide out of a rigid plaster mold like that ... I would almost always go with a secondary mold from an impression ... just like I would any sort of animal print ... since you know ... what goes in, must come back out ... fixes itself in a soft form.

I see what you're saying. I thought you meant a direct mold from the baby's hand.

Based on what I know people will pay for a mold of their kids hand, I wonder whether or not it's worth the time and effort and expense to have that many steps in the process. You'll have to figure out what your time is worth, and what works for you.

I REALLY DONT'T LIKE THE IDEA OF PRESSING THOSE TINY BABY HANDS INTO CLAY. YOU CAN BUY A SOFT PLASTIC CLAY IN STORES THAT SELL ART SUPPLIES. NICE AND CLEAN AND SOFT. BAKES IN A LOW OVEN IN A SHORT TIME. GOOD LUCK - GINNY

Why not? The real clay will wash off with water, is non-toxic, and can be made as soft as necessary. Oven bake clay is not at all durable, and would not be strong enough for hanging unless it is some sort of polymer type product. But standard oven-bake craft clay does not really harden or become durable or waterproof. Even the stuff they use for dog pawprints isn't strong. It only takes a little pressure to crack it even after it's baked. I've used real clay with every baby in our family with no problems.

It's not that simple as it sounds. :) Some years back, when my daughter was about a year old, we attempted to take her palm print. The moment her hand touched the clay, her fingers reacted and she squeezed her hand to a fist, and made tiny clay coil. :)After about 10 minutes, we were all covered with clay but there was no palm print :) It was fun but really messy adventure. Footprint was even more complicated and result was even bigger mess.

Do not worry, when they are about 3-4 or so, it gets easy because they can follow instructions and actually like making prints.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived