How far from home have you traveled to attend a ceramic workshop or event? | Q.O.W. 04/23/2013

Guest JBaymore

Off to school? Away to NCECA. Going to a Potters Council conference. Going to see "Famous Potter" demonstrate. Doing a woodfiring.

How far from home have you traveled to attend a ceramic workshop or event? (And what and where?)

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

Three and a half hours one way to Mendocino to a Potters Council workshop back I think in 05? I also took a delievery of work to my Mendo gallery so its was a two birds with one stone deal.

Met Mell Jacbobson in person after talking story via e-mail over the years about my salt kiln and a few glazes.

Mark

I think Billings, Montana to NCECA inTempe (about 1100 miles) driving a Russian artist and his pieces plus several of my students. NCECA in Vegas wasn't as far and I had 2 carloads of students with me.. I flew from Maui to NCECA in Baltimore. That may be the farthest I traveled.

oops...it was Oahu that year when I was teaching at UH in 2005.

Maui was a residency in 2009.

Actually, the Ceramics Symposium in Uzbekistan in 1992 was half way around the world. Latvia was in 1991, not quite as far.

Marcia

I think Billings, Montana to NCECA inTempe (about 1100 miles) driving a Russian artist and his pieces plus several of my students. NCECA in Vegas wasn't as far and I had 2 carloads of students with me.. I flew from Maui to NCECA in Baltimore. That may be the farthest I traveled.

Marcia

First Council one last year, Central Pa to Ashboro NC 6hrs.

A workshop at Sierra Nevada College was about 9.5 hours. Only drove to Carson City and then commuted to Lake Tahoe each day (lodging much cheaper in CC). Another workshop in Port Hadlock, WA-- don't remember how far or how much time, just remembered if you didn't connect with the ferries, it was a lot longer.

Shirley

Off to school? Away to NCECA. Going to a Potters Council conference. Going to see "Famous Potter" demonstrate. Doing a woodfiring.

How far from home have you traveled to attend a ceramic workshop or event? (And what and where?)

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

The furthest I have travel was to Fort Worth, TX for NECCA which was about 350 miles and shorter trips to Kansas City around 200 miles. My husband and I drive to Kansas City, Oklahoma City or Tulsa to art exhbits whenever one grabs our attention. Denice

Other events that were farther:

1991 3 week ceramics symposium invited by The Soviet Artists Union to Latvia from Montana

1992 1 month ceramics symposium invited by The Soviet Artists Union to Uzbekistan from Montana

stayover in Istanbul for a few days. cool! Same upper hemisphere but precisely opposite side of the globe.

Marcia

I flew from Seattle to Tokyo to attend Opening Reception for International Ceramics Festival in Tajimi City (Mino), Gifu Prefecture in 2011. In March of 2011, the horrific earthquake/tsunami had devastated areas of northern Japan. I told myself that if I got through the remaining two out of three remaining juried stages I'd make every effort to attend and participate. I did and I did. I met and enjoyed spending time with many exciting Studio Potters amongst them Christina Bryer( Infinite Interpretations, Ceramics Monthly April 2013); and Ann Van Hoey, Emerging Artists, Ceramics Monthly May 2013. Ann may be emerging in the USA, but is one huge presence in Europe on the Continent and in the UK represented by various top galleries.

Archived