#1 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

The cornstarch would just burn off in the bisque firing?

Thank you in advance

#2 timbo_heff

timbo_heff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationMA / NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

Thank you in advance

An easy trick is a plastic grocery bag: : works nice for signing leather clay with a dull pencil too!

#3 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Great idea, used the cling film from my lunch as a test. It worked perfectly, just got to get all the clay out the stamp now that is stuck in from my rookie mistakes

#4 AtomicAxe

AtomicAxe

Skilled Mud Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

sometimes finding the right consistancy of the clay helps too, with smaller details ... softer clay sticks to those fine details, more surface area to do so. plastic will work so will some ball clay in powder form, corn starch helps as well. Sometimes really it comes down to having an excellently designed stamp that is a blend of fine details and solid design that doesn't lend itself to clay failures but that just comes with using many many stamps to know what is perfect for you.

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have always used talc but corn starch will do the same thing.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Corn starch is my preferred method.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#7 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Don't have any cornstarch right now. Managing to get an OK stamp with cling film.

1.5" stamp

Picture
Posted Image

#8 M. Hogsed

M. Hogsed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHayesville, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

A light spray of WD-40 on your stamp will keep it from sticking and gives a good clean impression. You can usually make several impessions before having to spray again. I've used it to spray all sorts of things I've pressed into clay with excellent results. I've also used cornstarch but the impression isn't as crisp.

Marcia H.

#9 celia12345678910

celia12345678910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationnorthern minnesota

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thank you in advance

#10 celia12345678910

celia12345678910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationnorthern minnesota

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

toilet paper. if it sticks to the clays, it burns off in the bisque. Cheap too!

#11 Fourwinds

Fourwinds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thank you in advance

I stamp a lot, and always have used any kind of cooking oil. Whatever is on hand, olive, canola, etc. dip the stamp in whenever needed. Burns off in firing. The clay should stiffen up a tiny bit. I would not stamp a bowl I had just thrown- put outside or 5-10 minutes depending on the weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users