Make crack in vase

Hi - I am making my first coil pot - a bowl or maybe a vase - (I am new to this) and wanted to put a decorative crack penetrating the entire thickness (preferably just one if that is possible).

I saw a youtube video of someone using a small hammer after it had been fired(?). The sides looked thin (maybe done on a wheel?) and she made a bigger crack than I would want to do. Should I think of switching to slab to control thickness? Would it be possible to cut the vase in 2 pieces and either intentionally put them back together unevenly before firing, or firing the 2 pieces and then gluing them back together unevenly?

It would be a decorative piece and doesn't need to hold water. As you can see I know nothing about this so any info would be helpful! Thanks-

PS- Here is a pic of the feeling I want for the pot, but maybe just one crack going up the bowl or vase.

Hi - I am making my first coil pot - a bowl or maybe a vase - (I am new to this) and wanted to put a decorative crack penetrating the entire thickness (preferably just one if that is possible).

I saw a youtube video of someone using a small hammer after it had been fired(?). The sides looked thin (maybe done on a wheel?) and she made a bigger crack than I would want to do. Should I think of switching to slab to control thickness? Would it be possible to cut the vase in 2 pieces and either intentionally put them back together unevenly before firing, or firing the 2 pieces and then gluing them back together unevenly?

It would be a decorative piece and doesn't need to hold water. As you can see I know nothing about this so any info would be helpful! Thanks-

PS- Here is a pic of the feeling I want for the pot, but maybe just one crack going up the bowl or vase.

I didn't see a link to a picture. Are you familiar with Stephen Lee's work?

Marcia

You might try slicing almost all the way through the pot when it is almost leather hard, let it dry further then slice all the way through. Make sure you low fire for a couple hours...OR.... put it in your oven and take it from 100F to 350F in 3 hours....Slow drying will help it to not crack further . Cathy

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

You might try slicing almost all the way through the pot when it is almost leather hard, let it dry further then slice all the way through. Make sure you low fire for a couple hours...OR.... put it in your oven and take it from 100F to 350F in 3 hours....Slow drying will help it to not crack further . Cathy

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

Thanks Cathy - that sounds manageble for me!

Thanks Cathy - that sounds manageble for me!

Thanks Cathy - That sounds manageble for me!

Archived