• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hi - I am making my first coil pot - a bowl or maybe a vase - (I am new to this) and wanted to put a decorative crack penetrating the entire thickness (preferably just one if that is possible).
I saw a youtube video of someone using a small hammer after it had been fired(?). The sides looked thin (maybe done on a wheel?) and she made a bigger crack than I would want to do. Should I think of switching to slab to control thickness? Would it be possible to cut the vase in 2 pieces and either intentionally put them back together unevenly before firing, or firing the 2 pieces and then gluing them back together unevenly?
It would be a decorative piece and doesn't need to hold water. As you can see I know nothing about this so any info would be helpful! Thanks-

PS- Here is a pic of the feeling I want for the pot, but maybe just one crack going up the bowl or vase.

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi - I am making my first coil pot - a bowl or maybe a vase - (I am new to this) and wanted to put a decorative crack penetrating the entire thickness (preferably just one if that is possible).
I saw a youtube video of someone using a small hammer after it had been fired(?). The sides looked thin (maybe done on a wheel?) and she made a bigger crack than I would want to do. Should I think of switching to slab to control thickness? Would it be possible to cut the vase in 2 pieces and either intentionally put them back together unevenly before firing, or firing the 2 pieces and then gluing them back together unevenly?
It would be a decorative piece and doesn't need to hold water. As you can see I know nothing about this so any info would be helpful! Thanks-

PS- Here is a pic of the feeling I want for the pot, but maybe just one crack going up the bowl or vase.

I didn't see a link to a picture. Are you familiar with Stephen Lee's work?
Marcia

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

No image seen but to answer your question, yes you could build one pot ... Wait til it is cheese hard ... Cut if up / crack it ... any way you want and re-assemble it using slip made from the same clay.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 Cathy Linfield

Cathy Linfield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

You might try slicing almost all the way through the pot when it is almost leather hard, let it dry further then slice all the way through. Make sure you low fire for a couple hours...OR.... put it in your oven and take it from 100F to 350F in 3 hours....Slow drying will help it to not crack further . Cathy

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Stephen Lee is the Director at the ARchie Bray and recently open a show in NYC. Some pieces were from this series
http://www.ferringal...nt_8303_374.jpg

Marcia

#6 Chris Throws Pots

Chris Throws Pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Check out Jeff Campana's work. http://jeffcampana.com/

Christopher Vaughn Pottery
Functional stoneware forms
handcrafted in Burlington, Vermont

www.ChrisThrowsPots.com

On Instagram @chris_throws_pots

#7 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for this link ... Terrific work and a most interesting process.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#8 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

#9 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

You might try slicing almost all the way through the pot when it is almost leather hard, let it dry further then slice all the way through. Make sure you low fire for a couple hours...OR.... put it in your oven and take it from 100F to 350F in 3 hours....Slow drying will help it to not crack further . Cathy

#10 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Posted Today, 10:25 PM

#11 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Cathy - that sounds manageble for me!

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

#12 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

[quote name='Chris Campbell' date='21 April 2013 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1366575332' post='33348']
[quote name='Chris Throws Pots' date='21 April 2013 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1366567063' post='33344']
[/quote]

Thanks for this link ... Terrific work and a most interesting process.

Thanks Chris - beautiful stuff!

#13 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

[quote name='kgtys' date='21 April 2013 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1366587325' post='33358']
Thanks Cathy - that sounds manageble for me!

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Cathy - That sounds manageble for me!

#14 kgtys

kgtys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Stephen Lee is the Director at the ARchie Bray and recently open a show in NYC. Some pieces were from this series
http://www.ferringal...nt_8303_374.jpg

Marcia

Thanks Marcia I learn alot form these great visuals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users