cone 6 clay with 04-06 glazes

gypsy

Neil is right ... You will either under fire the clay or over fire the glaze.

Under fired clay is weak and over fired glazes crack and/or run.

However ... It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

If you love the glaze color and can't get it any other way then you have to adapt.

You could fire the clay to its temperature of Cone 6 then glaze it and re fire to Cone 04-06

If it were a sculpture or other non functional object you could just glaze and fire the whole thing cooler ... Maybe not as low as Cone 04 ... you might try higher temps to see what happens. Maybe Cone 2, 3 or 4? Put it on something so if it runs you won't have a shelf to clean.

Neil is right ... You will either under fire the clay or over fire the glaze.

Under fired clay is weak and over fired glazes crack and/or run.

However ... It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

If you love the glaze color and can't get it any other way then you have to adapt.

You could fire the clay to its temperature of Cone 6 then glaze it and re fire to Cone 04-06

If it were a sculpture or other non functional object you could just glaze and fire the whole thing cooler ... Maybe not as low as Cone 04 ... you might try higher temps to see what happens. Maybe Cone 2, 3 or 4? Put it on something so if it runs you won't have a shelf to clean.

Smart, Smart

• 2 weeks later...

gypsy, your title suggests that you might think that cone 06 is hotter than cone 04. the reverse is true. maybe i am misreading you or maybe i have always assumed that whenever anyone talks about a range of temperatures the lower number is mentioned first. from low to high.

I often use earthenware glazes on a stoneware body...sometimes it crazes, sometimes not...I happen to love the crackle effect though, but if you're glazing items that need to be food safe, it's not so good.

• 9 months later...

Archived