Red under glaze

I am new to ceramics and have started working with cone 10 crystal glazes. I am trying to get red under the crystal glaze. I have tried adding copper oxide to the glaze firing it than putting it through reduction at 1700 F for 15 to bring out the red. It has not worked, I sometimes get a little pink but mostly tan. Should I try a red slip and where can I get a formula for it?

I am new to ceramics and have started working with cone 10 crystal glazes. I am trying to get red under the crystal glaze. I have tried adding copper oxide to the glaze firing it than putting it through reduction at 1700 F for 15 to bring out the red. It has not worked, I sometimes get a little pink but mostly tan. Should I try a red slip and where can I get a formula for it?

A good slip for greenware, 1000 g. of your clay (dried, pulverized), 700g water, 250g Bright Red (inclusion). I really don't know how this would react with the crystal glaze but for sure is a very nice red slip.

i know some folks who have had great success using Duncan "Really Red" at ^10. try it under, on top of, or inside your glaze. only problem i have with it is you get a "crayola" red from the mason stain as opposed to a true copper red. you could add it to any slip recipe if you wanted to color it that way as well. it's all about experimentation!

Archived