• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tinman

Tinman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I am new to ceramics and have started working with cone 10 crystal glazes. I am trying to get red under the crystal glaze. I have tried adding copper oxide to the glaze firing it than putting it through reduction at 1700 F for 15 to bring out the red. It has not worked, I sometimes get a little pink but mostly tan. Should I try a red slip and where can I get a formula for it?

#2 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationJames Creek, Pa

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I sure wish I could help you but you're too advanced for me....good luck finding your red!

#3 Pompots

Pompots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

I am new to ceramics and have started working with cone 10 crystal glazes. I am trying to get red under the crystal glaze. I have tried adding copper oxide to the glaze firing it than putting it through reduction at 1700 F for 15 to bring out the red. It has not worked, I sometimes get a little pink but mostly tan. Should I try a red slip and where can I get a formula for it?

A good slip for greenware, 1000 g. of your clay (dried, pulverized), 700g water, 250g Bright Red (inclusion). I really don't know how this would react with the crystal glaze but for sure is a very nice red slip.

#4 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

i know some folks who have had great success using Duncan "Really Red" at ^10. try it under, on top of, or inside your glaze. only problem i have with it is you get a "crayola" red from the mason stain as opposed to a true copper red. you could add it to any slip recipe if you wanted to color it that way as well. it's all about experimentation!

#5 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Try using one of the really bright red stroke n' coat Mayco underglazes. I have had luck with them at ^10.

Good Luck!

Darrel
Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Copper reds are very specific, touchy formulas that have to be fired just right. Just adding copper to a glaze will most likely not give you a strong red. I would start by comparing some copper red formulas to your glaze recipe to get an idea of what's needed.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users