#21 Iforgot

Iforgot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thank you everyone, I asked the question here again after reading the last question of this subject and the answers were over my head. I have no idea what RIO is or CMC gum solution or ferro frit are. most other chemica,l minerals, mysterious substances I am learning to recognize the names when I read them but am not really sure how to use or handle them. I only just figured out what flux is and that's how I know that gerstley borate is one. Currently I am only using commercial products and such knowing its better to wait and experiment with my own when I know A LOT more than I do now. My tiny bags of red iron oxide, gerstley borat and a couple mason stains are the first and only powdered ceramic items I have purchased so far, it took me 2 weeks to get up the nerve to even open the bag of Gerstley borate and a mason stain to mix up a test transfer tile. I've been looking at the bag of red iron oxide mystified by how to get it into liquid form safely. I have purchased a respirator for ceramics use and use it whenever I handle anything dry even wiping down my tables in case I cause clay dust to arise.

Again thank you for helping to educate me I read the forum posts old and new but it sometimes takes a awhile to actually figure out and understand what it is I am reading. Sometimes its rather like reading Greek street signs you know the sign in front of the train station says Train Station but you have no idea what the letters printed are. I know eventually ill figure it all out but the learning curve is massive at this point.

Terry

Sorry, Terry, I used the abbreviation RIO for Red Iron Oxide. While it is obviously good to error on the side of safety when handling clays and chemicals, some people take it to such an extreme that it is not only silly but a waste of studio time. Almost anything you inhale other than clean air is not good for you, but if you don't use gloves and a respirator to drive down a highway or ride a bike up a dirt trail or to watch your kid slide into home base or clean the cat box or sweep anywhere or put a kid in a sand box then you don't need gloves and a respirator to mix a little RIO (Red Iron Oxide) with water.

BTW, RIO is a main ingredient of ochres that our ancestors used to paint their bodies and cave walls and many people still used today to cover their entire bodies and is one of the many colors tossed into the air over crowds in India.

Jim (Who is still kicking a horse that died around post 10 of this thread and who doesn't like the expression "kicking a dead horse" but used it anyway.)

BTW,

Kumkum (the red pigment thrown in the air during hindu religious festivals like holi or Krishna Janmastami) is made from mercury sulfide, not iron oxide.

Darrel (who is offically done kicking the dead horse)
Derek VonDrehle

Raku, Pit fired, Majolica, and Stoneware ceramic artisit

#22 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

(Just in case the horse was only playing possum....)

I continue to find this a valuable resource

http://ceramicartsda...daily/glossary/

Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) — an organic gum used as a suspension/adhesion agent in glazes. Normally, a small amount of gum is added to a quart or so of warm water and left overnight. Once dissolved, this solution may be added in small doses to glazes, slips, and engobes to improve application performance. Source: Clay: A Studio Handbook
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#23 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Kumkum (the red pigment thrown in the air during hindu religious festivals like holi or Krishna Janmastami) is made from mercury sulfide, not iron oxide.

I was told that one of the pigments was just crushed and dried ochre--maybe an orange or yellow pigment instead of the red? But, obviously, you know more about this religious festival than I do so thank you for the info. BTW, without taking the time to look it up, I think I'd rather have red iron oxide thrown at me than mercury sulfide.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#24 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

(Just in case the horse was only playing possum....)

I continue to find this a valuable resource

http://ceramicartsda...daily/glossary/

Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) — an organic gum used as a suspension/adhesion agent in glazes. Normally, a small amount of gum is added to a quart or so of warm water and left overnight. Once dissolved, this solution may be added in small doses to glazes, slips, and engobes to improve application performance. Source: Clay: A Studio Handbook

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but a large percentage of the CMC gum will get eaten up by bacteria in a matter of a few days. It's good to have some sort of preservative to prevent this. Commercial mixes use a biocide (formaldehyde in the old days), which is why commercial glazes have a certain odor to them. For home use, a very small percentage of copper carb will do the trick, about .05% by dry weight, without affecting the color of the glaze.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#25 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

flour is dangerous! But so is RIO...

Only if you're scared of stains.

I apologize for kicking the dead horse (Red Iron Oxide) he's just so much fun to kick.

Dear All,

That was a great image posted.

I must say, that PDF list is pretty darn long...???

Part of me says download and paste on my wall. Another part says "treat anything with the possibility of being air born" as potentially toxic. I wonder if I would be wearing a mask full-time in the studio??

I think the message should be something like pay heed to the danger of the products we use. If exposure is significant than do without a doubt wear a respirator. If working closely with a toxic substance, again, wear a mask. If mixing a glaze, wear a mask. If doing any sanding or grinding wear a mask.

Please feel free to correct me on my thoughts if I am wrong.

Good reminder about studio safety.

Nelly

#26 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I use RIO to sign all my work. I mix 100g RIO with a small amt of ball clay and Gerstley Borate. This keeps it from smearing when handling greenware and it looks nice when fired.

#27 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I use RIO to sign all my work. I mix 100g RIO with a small amt of ball clay and Gerstley Borate. This keeps it from smearing when handling greenware and it looks nice when fired.

Red;
Try mixing your RIO with Albany slip or Alberta slip.[one teaspoon by eye to 100 g of iron]. It is a dark clay that will bring trace elements with it. I also use black iron oxide as a pigment. It is already reduced and shows up better. Try brushing some over an unfired glaze on a test tile.
As always, test before making a big batch.
TJR.Posted Image

#28 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Pugaboo,

Rest easy about the jargon that gets tossed around here.  I've been using Red Iron Oxide for years and this thread is the first place that I have seen it tossed around as the acronym, 'RIO'.

I use a lot of red iron oxide on carved, relief, and chattered surfaces...and typically wipe off the excess so that the stain collects on crevices/cracks. When I do not wear gloves during this process, my hands get stained (albeit not permanently).  My two cents worth: if applied too thick as a water and red iron oxide mix, it becomes rough/crusty and can act as a flux under high fire conditions with some glazes.

Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users