Red Iron Oxide

Pugaboo

I use RIO to sign all my work. I mix 100g RIO with a small amt of ball clay and Gerstley Borate. This keeps it from smearing when handling greenware and it looks nice when fired.

Red;

Try mixing your RIO with Albany slip or Alberta slip.[one teaspoon by eye to 100 g of iron]. It is a dark clay that will bring trace elements with it. I also use black iron oxide as a pigment. It is already reduced and shows up better. Try brushing some over an unfired glaze on a test tile.

As always, test before making a big batch.

TJR.biggrin.gif

• 8 months later...

Pugaboo,

Rest easy about the jargon that gets tossed around here.  I've been using Red Iron Oxide for years and this thread is the first place that I have seen it tossed around as the acronym, 'RIO'.

I use a lot of red iron oxide on carved, relief, and chattered surfaces...and typically wipe off the excess so that the stain collects on crevices/cracks. When I do not wear gloves during this process, my hands get stained (albeit not permanently).  My two cents worth: if applied too thick as a water and red iron oxide mix, it becomes rough/crusty and can act as a flux under high fire conditions with some glazes.

Paul

Archived