Forced air burner plans?

Orrifice as given to me : .161 dia ( Via micrometer) According to chart (Ward) Approx. 181,000 btu.

I'm assuming powered is more efficient but not sure if that works into formula.

Not sure on kiln size yet, waiting to pick up more (free ) bricks, and furniture. Can we use 20 cu feet for discussion sake.

Ill need 320,000 to 400,000 btu per hour. For hard brick kiln, 20 cubic feet

Ward site states that power burners are designed to run on low pressures, 14"wc or 1/2 psi.

Also ill be using propane.

Neil, not sure what you're. Asking for when you mentioned pipe size.?

Orrifice as given to me : .161 dia ( Via micrometer) According to chart (Ward) Approx. 181,000 btu.

I'm assuming powered is more efficient but not sure if that works into formula.

Not sure on kiln size yet, waiting to pick up more (free ) bricks, and furniture. Can we use 20 cu feet for discussion sake.

Ill need 320,000 to 400,000 btu per hour. For hard brick kiln, 20 cubic feet

Ward site states that power burners are designed to run on low pressures, 14"wc or 1/2 psi.

Also ill be using propane.

Neil, not sure what you're. Asking for when you mentioned pipe size.?

The size of the pipe delivering the gas. My gas kiln used about 800,000 btu's. A standar household gas line, 3/4 inch pipe, can't deliver deliver a large enough volume of gas to keep up with that, so I put in a 2" line.

14" WC, while low pressure, is double standard household pressure. If you plan on running natural gas, you'll have to have the pressure increased, which the gas company may or may not be willing to do at a home.

For the most helpful information on burner systems for Kiln's You will want to contact:

www.wardburner.com

They are very helpful and able to supply safe systems for any size kiln with integrated control.

Dimmer switches need not apply!

Lockley

Picture of components

Blower with tube ( yeah yeah siding needs some pressure washing, it's a rental....)

Gas orifice ( ok if it looks like hole drilled in some pipe it's because it is) (was designed to be dropped in hole on blower assembly)

And pilot

Notes

Propane

Approx 180000 btu with this orifice. Goal is 240 000 btu.

Needs

Plumbing the gas? (To blower, to propane tanks)

Selecting and assembling (plumbing) and wiring) basso valve, pilot system, (attached to copper tubing)

Ps I have 2 of everything came from retired 2 blower system. I planning on making a single . Also a couple of broke pressure dials.

Lockley. I'm well aware of ward. I've been doing a lot of studying on his site. But am waiting till I'm closer to purchase before contacting him. Plus I don't want to get charged consult fee yet

post-25544-136926855818_thumb.jpg

post-25544-136926858023_thumb.jpg

post-25544-136926860359_thumb.jpg

post-25544-136926855818_thumb.jpg

post-25544-136926858023_thumb.jpg

post-25544-136926860359_thumb.jpg

Isn't wc for natural gas?

PSI of 1/2 pound is very low for propane. Are you certain Marc said they could be used for propane?

There is a difference between orifices for propane and natural gas. They are not the same thing.

Marcia

I'm going on info from here (first paragraph last sentence)

Not sure of details behind calculating btu. From orrifice size....

Great link information dense reading

But since forced air is more efficient does btu increase for forced Air???

You cannot (should not) change the size of the orifice of a venturi burner. As the gas goes through, it pulls the air through. If the orifice size is changed, the air to gas mixture gets all messed up. So you just buy whatever size (BTU) venturi you need. They are typically not as powerful as power burners, so you generally need more. Power burners can be made to just about any size (BTU), so they're greatest benefit is that you can usually just use two. Power burner kilns also don't need a tall stack/chimney, since you don't rely on secondary air (draft) to aid in the combustion.

You cannot (should not) change the size of the orifice of a venturi burner. As the gas goes through, it pulls the air through. If the orifice size is changed, the air to gas mixture gets all messed up. So you just buy whatever size (BTU) venturi you need. They are typically not as powerful as power burners, so you generally need more. Power burners can be made to just about any size (BTU), so they're greatest benefit is that you can usually just use two. Power burner kilns also don't need a tall stack/chimney, since you don't rely on secondary air (draft) to aid in the combustion.

Thanks for reply.

To clarify question.

I will be building forced air burner. I will be using propane.

The propane orfice burner charts (http://www.hvacredu.net/gas-codes/module2/Gas%20Orifice%20Capacity%20Chart.pdf). given a btu rating for propane, and natural gas, With natural gas it has different ratings as pressure goes up for given orifice. For propane it has one rating/ orifice size.

For propane does btu increase with more fuel (increasing flow of gas)?

Are these charts propane data based on venturi systems?

Since forced air is more efficient, than Venturi, does using forced air for given orifice increase btu output?

Archived