What kind of symbols/Imagery do you use in your work to create your personal narrative? | Q.O.W. 04/16/2013

Guest JBaymore

What kind of symbols/imagery do you use in your work to create your personal narrative?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

What kind of symbols/imagery do you use in your work to create your personal narrative?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

Dear All,

I think to answer this question, I was most influenced by a course I took with Victoria Christen.

Here is a sample of her work:

http://www.victoriachristen.com/earthenware.html

She does some work in low fire red clay, dips the piece in slip and then adds various colors on top. Thus, you have the possibility of removing some of the slip to reveal the base clay. You can then use other colors to paint or decorate.

What I liked about her work and which I do a lot of in my own style is look or find shapes in the colors I randomly apply. I search for interesting shapes and outline them with darker pigments (i.e., black or cobalt). It is the brush marks that are important. While they do not tell a story, they are a type of expression that I enjoy.

Sometimes I use a long brush that I made out of horse hair at a workshop. Other times I use shorter brushes that are more flowing (i.e., in the lines of a think Hake brush or similar soft one that holds the color). I like lines and color. While I love the idea of "less is more" I do like to decorate. So in summary, I think my narrative is about the creative use of lines and color. I see one shape in the things I outline or identify in my colors while others find something different from their life experience and aesthetic.

Nelly

For sculpture, I tend towards the human condition--the interaction I see going on around me. Life is a series of plays within plays, within plays. Being a people watcher can be a full time job, but something will catch my eye and then my mind starts looking for something similar in other venues. People shop, go to sport events, movies, dinner, walks. Circumstances change, but people seem to be pretty predictable at times and two teens having a row aren't different from a married couple or two seniors with a difference of opinion. I try to capture some of the action and freeze it in time. I'm looking for a response from the viewer: something like "Oh, yeah". done or seen that. I'm curious about that response. Do they feel anger, sadness, regret, shame? Have I awakened something in the viewer that has been long dormant or have I opened a window or door that will lead them to explore new paths? Most of the time I don't know, but a lot of the time, I'm watching.

Shirley

I've been practicing drawing EnsÅ.

It' has found its way to my pottery

It symbolizes many things.........nothing.....

Narrative:

It's this nothingness I practice in and on my work....

These change constantly as each piece evolves. I try to create larger pieces that might be archeological finds. These may be based on myths or religion etc. In creating them an unreadable narrative is often needed, one that is invented to mimic but not copy a language either ancient or contemporary.

As a city girl, I was overwhelmed by the power of nature in Montana. For 31 years the natural world influence a lot of my work. Cows in green pastures or on snowy white fields, being surrounded by wild horses in misty clouds on high mountain ridges. These have had a profound affect on much of the imagery in my work.

Architecturally, I was influence by symbolism of the Romanesque Architectural and the psychological meanings of the strange iconography of the time.

I am moving into a new direction of collage. We'll see where that goes.

Marcia

post-1954-136657789477_thumb.jpg

post-1954-136657789477_thumb.jpg

Good morning,

I live in upstate NY, on 40 acres, so a lot of natural imagery ends up in my pottery. I carve in pine trees, birds, use leaves for dishes. I do the same with my jewelry - sheep, cows, wolves, bears, hawks, crows, ravens. Anything in the natural world is game!

Nancy

Archived