clay spoons

gypsy

I would just lay it on the shelf, but you'll need to figure out a way to prop the glazed portion off the shelf. I'd make a little shim out of soft brick, or if you don't have that use a little wad of clay coated with kiln wash. Only fire that clay to cone 5 or it will probably bloat.

I;ve recently made a bunch of spoons....what's the best way to fire them....stilts or standing up? Thanks.

Stilts are a pain and leave scars. If the unglazed clay looks good, then one of the best way to fire spoons is to make holders for them by standing them up and pressing the handle end into a lump of clay. This way the spoons are fired standing up in the clay clumps but, obviously, the part of the spoon in the clump will be raw. If you don't like that, you can make the spoon handles so that a hole is in the end of the handle so that instead of the handle fitting into a hole in a clump of clay, it fits over a nichrome rod.

Jim

I;ve recently made a bunch of spoons....what's the best way to fire them....stilts or standing up? Thanks.

Stilts are a pain and leave scars. If the unglazed clay looks good, then one of the best way to fire spoons is to make holders for them by standing them up and pressing the handle end into a lump of clay. This way the spoons are fired standing up in the clay clumps but, obviously, the part of the spoon in the clump will be raw. If you don't like that, you can make the spoon handles so that a hole is in the end of the handle so that instead of the handle fitting into a hole in a clump of clay, it fits over a nichrome rod.

Jim

Thank you so much

Jim

Thank you so much

If you go with pressing them into clumps use the same clay for the clumps so the shrinkage is the same. You will still probably need to widen the hole a little with a knife when dry and (especially if using porcelain) you will probably need to paint a little alumina hydrate in the hole to keep the clays from sticking when fired to vitrification.

Jim

Archived