Left at the Altar

Keep in mind, that, even if the court rules in your favor, they do not enforce collection. You will have to go back to court, file a request for the defendant to appear again in court, and then that defendant must answer, under oath, questions regarding their financial solvency. You will ask the questions you feel may be necessary to collect your claim in the future, such as the defendants current address, whether they own or rent, their current employer (if any), where the employer is located, the contact person at their place of employ (in case wage garnishment is needed), vehicles they own, etc. A collection agency may be necessary.

Any way you slice it, it's an unpleasant process, and seems slanted in favor of nogoodniks.

In Georgia the process is not very hard. It only takes a little paperwork to put a lien on someone's trailer, mud wrestling facilities or meth lab.

Jim

Jim, I do thoroughly enjoy your posts, and constant updating of your avatar.

Also, the only thing that scares me more, than the Midwestern meth labs/ meth heads, are the Southern meth labs/ meth heads.

I'm with Chris. Weasels! No more commissions!

Back in the day, I was asked--by a friend--to carve a scale model of a Porsche he owned. He'd seen a carving in ironwood (a SW desert wood similar to Lignum Vitae) in one of his magazines and wanted one for his desk. The carving was 1:12 and went for $5000. Of course he wanted a better price and I said it would depend on how large a piece of ironwood I had for the carving. The wood I had was smaller, so I gave a price of $3000 and said I'd stay in touch with him through the carving process. I thought I was being smart by asking for 1/3 down, 1/3 when roughed out, and 1/3 on completion. He talked me down to $300 down and another $500 roughed out. Ironwood is the only wood I've ever carved where I spent as much time sharpening the tools as I did carving.

Long story short, he gave me the $300 came up with an excuse for not giving me the $500 and when I got it finished said it was exactly what he wanted but only offered me $50. Fifty bucks? I thought he was joking. Not so, his idea was the additional $50 was better than nothing and what was I going to do with the finished product anyway? I had even had a special cedar box--lined with red velvet--made as my gift to him for the commission.

Ever had your jaw waggle with no sounds coming out? That happened to me. He was laughing as he tore up the invoice. There were a lot of things I wanted to do, but didn't want to go to jail. I carefully taped the invoice back together and wrote on it, "I have changed my mind and am unwilling to pay the balance owed to Shirley A. Potter". Under this I printed his name and drew a line. I told him this was to keep the paperwork straight. Fool signed it. I put the carving back into the box, picked it up and headed for the door. He wanted to know where I was going and I said home. He tried to stop me, but there were others looking on.

I went home, made copies of everything--including the written agreement that started the whole mess. Attached the copies to a letter giving him 30 days to pay the $2700 owed me or the work would be disposed of by me in a manner of my choosing. He offered me some money, but not the full balance so my oldest daughter received a strange Christmas present that year--with a note reading this is the only car you'll ever get from me. She's happy, I'm happy, and frankly, I still don't give a damn about him!

Haven't taken a commission since.

Good googly moogly! I have blocks of ironwood I'm afraid of working with just because of how hard they are ... tried to work with one, and ended up just burning the wood with high speed tools or destroying my nibs ... i can only imagine something as detailed and specific as a car.

But on that note, good for you doing it the way you did, Idaho Potter.

Archived