oxide washes

gypsy

Have any of you folks use the Mayco washes and do you have any pictures?

Yup, I love the Manganese and Iron washes. I actually can't find any of the iron wash, but when it's brushed on solid it comes out looking almost like a burgundy leather (^6 oxidation). It's quite beautiful.

The manganese is a beautiful blackish-brown that, on my stoneware, looks a lot like a stained walnut.

Attaching two photos of some sideways bowls that I made. The exterior is the manganese wash, brushed on while on a wheel. Third photo is a double-walled vessel, the one on the right has the manganese wash as well.

Hope this helps!

-- CW

post-18236-136579256573_thumb.jpg

post-18236-136579257415_thumb.jpg

post-18236-136579258087_thumb.jpg

post-18236-136579256573_thumb.jpg

post-18236-136579257415_thumb.jpg

post-18236-136579258087_thumb.jpg

Yup, I love the Manganese and Iron washes. I actually can't find any of the iron wash, but when it's brushed on solid it comes out looking almost like a burgundy leather (^6 oxidation). It's quite beautiful.

The manganese is a beautiful blackish-brown that, on my stoneware, looks a lot like a stained walnut.

Attaching two photos of some sideways bowls that I made. The exterior is the manganese wash, brushed on while on a wheel. Third photo is a double-walled vessel, the one on the right has the manganese wash as well.

Hope this helps!

-- CW

Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos,,,,your bowls are beautiful. Once again, thanks.

Hope this helps!

-- CW

Have you ever tried them over or under glazes?

Have you ever tried them over or under glazes?

You know, I actually haven't. I just got a gallon of a Coyote white crawling glaze and am interested to see how it will interface with the oxide wash.

But no, I pretty much use them for textural effect so I don't have "unfinished" clay.

I used a green, I think it was called celadon. I put a clear glaze on top. I wasn't impressed with the results. I used a lot of the wash and it seemed to fade. This was at cone 6 on white stone ware. I didn't think to use it with out a top glaze, may try that.

mregecko has much better looking results than I did.

I used a green, I think it was called celadon. I put a clear glaze on top. I wasn't impressed with the results. I used a lot of the wash and it seemed to fade. This was at cone 6 on white stone ware. I didn't think to use it with out a top glaze, may try that.

The green is their copper wash. From other's results I have seen, it's a pale faded green. Not much that I would do with it so I haven't played with it. I hear it's a heavy fluxer.

The green is their copper wash. From other's results I have seen, it's a pale faded green. Not much that I would do with it so I haven't played with it. I hear it's a heavy fluxer.

What does heavy fluxer mean?

Someone who is really good at sealing the seams on tin cans.

Jim

I spent a rather uneventful summer after high school working third shift at a canning company where my job was to measure seams on lids after the cans came out of the machines . . . aside from being able to put on my resume that I could use and read a micrometer, not much carry over. Although I did ensure the veggies on the shelf were properly canned and safe for eating.

It will make the glaze over which the wash is applied melt even more and run . . . over the foot and onto the kiln shelf, if you are not careful. Fluxes are the component of glazes that make things melt.

It will make the glaze over which the wash is applied melt even more and run . . . over the foot and onto the kiln shelf, if you are not careful. Fluxes are the component of glazes that make things melt.

Thanks

Archived