#1 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationJames Creek, Pa

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Have any of you folks use the Mayco washes and do you have any pictures?

#2 mregecko

mregecko

Potteries

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yup, I love the Manganese and Iron washes. I actually can't find any of the iron wash, but when it's brushed on solid it comes out looking almost like a burgundy leather (^6 oxidation). It's quite beautiful.

The manganese is a beautiful blackish-brown that, on my stoneware, looks a lot like a stained walnut.

Attaching two photos of some sideways bowls that I made. The exterior is the manganese wash, brushed on while on a wheel. Third photo is a double-walled vessel, the one on the right has the manganese wash as well.

Hope this helps!

-- CW

Attached Files

#3 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yup, I love the Manganese and Iron washes. I actually can't find any of the iron wash, but when it's brushed on solid it comes out looking almost like a burgundy leather (^6 oxidation). It's quite beautiful.

The manganese is a beautiful blackish-brown that, on my stoneware, looks a lot like a stained walnut.

Attaching two photos of some sideways bowls that I made. The exterior is the manganese wash, brushed on while on a wheel. Third photo is a double-walled vessel, the one on the right has the manganese wash as well.

Hope this helps!

-- CW

Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos,,,,your bowls are beautiful. Once again, thanks.

#4 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hope this helps!

-- CW

Have you ever tried them over or under glazes?

#5 mregecko

mregecko

Potteries

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Have you ever tried them over or under glazes?

You know, I actually haven't. I just got a gallon of a Coyote white crawling glaze and am interested to see how it will interface with the oxide wash.

But no, I pretty much use them for textural effect so I don't have "unfinished" clay.

#6 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

I used a green, I think it was called celadon. I put a clear glaze on top. I wasn't impressed with the results. I used a lot of the wash and it seemed to fade. This was at cone 6 on white stone ware. I didn't think to use it with out a top glaze, may try that.

mregecko has much better looking results than I did.
- chantay

#7 mregecko

mregecko

Potteries

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

I used a green, I think it was called celadon. I put a clear glaze on top. I wasn't impressed with the results. I used a lot of the wash and it seemed to fade. This was at cone 6 on white stone ware. I didn't think to use it with out a top glaze, may try that.

The green is their copper wash. From other's results I have seen, it's a pale faded green. Not much that I would do with it so I haven't played with it. I hear it's a heavy fluxer.

#8 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

The green is their copper wash. From other's results I have seen, it's a pale faded green. Not much that I would do with it so I haven't played with it. I hear it's a heavy fluxer.

What does heavy fluxer mean?

#9 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Someone who is really good at sealing the seams on tin cans.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#10 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Someone who is really good at sealing the seams on tin cans.

Jim

I spent a rather uneventful summer after high school working third shift at a canning company where my job was to measure seams on lids after the cans came out of the machines . . . aside from being able to put on my resume that I could use and read a micrometer, not much carry over. Although I did ensure the veggies on the shelf were properly canned and safe for eating.

#11 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

It will make the glaze over which the wash is applied melt even more and run . . . over the foot and onto the kiln shelf, if you are not careful. Fluxes are the component of glazes that make things melt.

#12 gypsy

gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

It will make the glaze over which the wash is applied melt even more and run . . . over the foot and onto the kiln shelf, if you are not careful. Fluxes are the component of glazes that make things melt.

Thanks

#13 bigDave

bigDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSo-Cal

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Fluxes are the component of glazes that make things melt.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users