Glaze Sprayer

Where can I buy a Glaze Sprayer. I am in Australia, New South Wales, and would like to know of a distributor. I have just recently subscribed to Ceramics Monthly and most of the sales are only done in the USA. I am a bit dissapointed that they don't do international shipments. Can someone help please??

technically, you can use an automotive paint spray gun -- it doesn't have the ideal aperture size for large particles/glaze, but they definitely work if you sieve well and water down your glaze slightly. our studio has been using a $10 paint spray set a student bought at an auto parts store, and it's been in use for several years without any issues as long as it gets cleaned out each use. personally, i like to use the Critter spray gun. I can't imagine it will be that difficult to find a spray gun in Australia. If you can't find one, look for online vendor - they will ship international unless they don't accept money...

technically, you can use an automotive paint spray gun -- it doesn't have the ideal aperture size for large particles/glaze, but they definitely work if you sieve well and water down your glaze slightly. our studio has been using a $10 paint spray set a student bought at an auto parts store, and it's been in use for several years without any issues as long as it gets cleaned out each use. personally, i like to use the Critter spray gun. I can't imagine it will be that difficult to find a spray gun in Australia. If you can't find one, look for online vendor - they will ship international unless they don't accept money...

Thanks for your reply, I have thought about a spray gun, however, thought the glaze would clog the nozzle. Will give it a try, you do mean one without a compressor, don't you?

clogging the sprayer is a big concern when dealing with suspended minerals needing to go through a tiny hole wink.gif you will most likely have to do a combination of watering down, sieving multiple times, or even ball milling a glaze in order to avoid issues. not all glazes can be sprayed - like a glaze with larger granular particles in the recipe, like some ilmenite, borax, cornwall, pumice, etc etc.

yes, I mean the type you need an air compressor to run - either the siphon or gravity feed versions like below:

LVLP-Paint-Sprayer_thumb.jpgG860photo.jpg

i have used an HVLP sprayer but never tried it with spraying glaze, only lacquer. it's possible that these might work, but not sure for glaze

Wagner_518080_Control_Spray_Max_HVLP_Sprayer.jpg

there is also this type of airless sprayer that have a pump in the handle, not sure how these would work either

Wagner_Spray_Tech_518050_Double_Duty_Hvlp_Sprayer_Control_Spray_Double_Duty-_Hvlp_IndoorOutdoor_-_E.jpg

this is the Critter sprayer that i personally prefer. I found that materials didn't need to be watered down as much - such a simple design with a huge siphon aperture...it's basically a glorified atomizer. I like them because the design is stupidly simple, easy to clean, and doesn't have many parts to fail aside from maybe needing to replace the brass tip if a groove is worn into it (glaze materials are abrasive). Reservoir can also be changed out for pretty much any jar that has a mason-jar's mouth size/thread pattern. I use Best Foods Mayo jars since they are plastic and the lids seal very well for holding glaze when used just as a container. I'm sure this sprayer could be used as a media blaster if I wanted to...

CritterSprayGun.gif

I have anew HVLP compressor and spray gun and it is great. I did getto much coming out the first time I tried it. I will get the adjustment on the nozzle to be where I want it.

I also have used an EZsprayer that I got from Archie Bray. It is similar to the Critter. hassle free.

It needs about 25 pounds pressure on the compressor.

Marcia

I have anew HVLP compressor and spray gun and it is great. I did getto much coming out the first time I tried it. I will get the adjustment on the nozzle to be where I want it.

I also have used an EZsprayer that I got from Archie Bray. It is similar to the Critter. hassle free.

It needs about 25 pounds pressure on the compressor.

Marcia

Marcia, good luck with your HVLP sprayer. I had one but found it very complicated to clean when changing colors. I have two EZ sprayers and like using them now that I filed down the tip so the spray goes out properly instead of gumming up. the problem I have is with their plastic bottles. I have about 20 of them and found that one shipment came in a box that was too small. the plastic was crushed down so that the threads were too far inside the neck of the bottle. one was even an oval. I have looked at two pottery supply houses and their bottles seem to be the same. and expensive for what you get. each of these 12 bottles leaks. I wish I could find a different supplier of bottles that would fit the threads on the EZ sprayer. does anyone know of a supply?

have never had to adjust a glaze to spray it except adding a little water. the glaze dries so quickly that handling is easy, no finger marks from dipping to try to cover. cleaning is simple, I just spray out some water from the bucket used for cleaning and change colors.

Archived