Sealing Kiln Floor Cracks

Does anyone have a suggestion for sealing cracked insulating brick in the bottom of an electric kiln? The cracks aren't too bad yet but I'd like to find something that will help maintain the bricks' integrity longer.

Thanks,

David

David I have had a bag of kiln cement in my studio for 30 years, I believe it's a AMACO product. I mix it thin enough to pour into the crack and keep filling it until it's level. I keep broken shelves covering the bottom of the kiln. they help slow down the heat loss. Hope this helps you Denice

Does anyone have a suggestion for sealing cracked insulating brick in the bottom of an electric kiln? The cracks aren't too bad yet but I'd like to find something that will help maintain the bricks' integrity longer.

Thanks,

David

I learned this on Clayart and used it on the kilns at UH -Manoa when I was teaching there. Soak ceramic fiber in ITC 100 and stuff the cracks. I used this on some very large cracks. I also rebuilt the floor in one of the kilns with my three Grad students.. There were 9 , I think. They were in rough shape.

Thanks so much for the info. I've heard of kiln cement but haven't tried it. Sounds like what I need for now.

-David

Thanks,

David

David I have had a bag of kiln cement in my studio for 30 years, I believe it's a AMACO product. I mix it thin enough to pour into the crack and keep filling it until it's level. I keep broken shelves covering the bottom of the kiln. they help slow down the heat loss. Hope this helps you Denice

Thanks, Marcia. This sounds like a very good approach for rescuing a badly cracked floor. If I can't get the cracks stopped with kiln cement, I think this wil be a good fall-back approach before having to replace the floor.

Much appreciated,

David

Thanks,

David

I learned this on Clayart and used it on the kilns at UH -Manoa when I was teaching there. Soak ceramic fiber in ITC 100 and stuff the cracks. I used this on some very large cracks. I also rebuilt the floor in one of the kilns with my three Grad students.. There were 9 , I think. They were in rough shape.

Archived