Can I put a few strokes of stoneware slip on terra cotta?

Nelly

Dear All,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question but want to check. Can I put a few brush strokes of stone ware slip on say a terra cotta bowl that I will glaze with a low fire clear honey glaze.

My knowledge says, only put the same type of slip on the same kind of body. In otherwords, only put terra cotta slip on a terra cotta body.

But the experimenter in me wants to try.

Given that my clay is red and I was sort of hoping to use a white slip, do I need to invest in some white terra cotta or can I try some stone ware slip that I already have mixed up.

Know that it will be nothing more than a few stokes of white slip but I do not want my kiln ware blowing up during the firing. Could this happen or will it simply not adhere to leather dry clay??

Is this feasible or should I simply put this idea aside until I get the real McCoy (i.e., white terra cotta) to make my own slip?

Thank you in advance,

Nelly

Go ahead and play! Nothing worse than the slip falling off or cracking will happen. Try porcelain slip too ... Bright white does wonderful things on terra cotta.

Here is a link to the clay lessons area of my site ... look under "working with slips"

http://www.ccpottery.com/murrinis.html

Dear Chris,

I have visited your site now. I must say your work is beautiful. Yes, experiment. I will do that. A few strokes will tell me something and as you say, even it if cracks or chips, there may be something in it that is exciting.

I remember years ago being shown how to put slip on top of glaze. The crackle was effective.

I will try and keep you all posted.

Thank you Chris.

Nelly

I use a cone 10 porecelain (Highwater's Helios) as a slip for cone 6 wares . . . no problems. I add mason stains and put a clear over the colored slips. I also use a white slip I make from scratch on all things from earthenware to cone 10 reduction . . . no problems.

Dear Bciskepottery,

Thank you to you too. While I have no porcelain in my studio, I will give it a whirl to see what happens. If nothing else, I will learn yet another lesson.

Thank you again,

Nelly

Archived