Photo

Can I put a few strokes of stoneware slip on terra cotta?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Dear All,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question but want to check. Can I put a few brush strokes of stone ware slip on say a terra cotta bowl that I will glaze with a low fire clear honey glaze.

My knowledge says, only put the same type of slip on the same kind of body. In otherwords, only put terra cotta slip on a terra cotta body.

But the experimenter in me wants to try.

Given that my clay is red and I was sort of hoping to use a white slip, do I need to invest in some white terra cotta or can I try some stone ware slip that I already have mixed up.

Know that it will be nothing more than a few stokes of white slip but I do not want my kiln ware blowing up during the firing. Could this happen or will it simply not adhere to leather dry clay??

Is this feasible or should I simply put this idea aside until I get the real McCoy (i.e., white terra cotta) to make my own slip?

Thank you in advance,

Nelly

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Go ahead and play! Nothing worse than the slip falling off or cracking will happen. Try porcelain slip too ... Bright white does wonderful things on terra cotta.

Here is a link to the clay lessons area of my site ... look under "working with slips"

http://www.ccpottery.com/murrinis.html

Attached Files

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

I use a cone 10 porecelain (Highwater's Helios) as a slip for cone 6 wares . . . no problems. I add mason stains and put a clear over the colored slips. I also use a white slip I make from scratch on all things from earthenware to cone 10 reduction . . . no problems.

#4 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Go ahead and play! Nothing worse than the slip falling off or cracking will happen. Try porcelain slip too ... Bright white does wonderful things on terra cotta.

Here is a link to the clay lessons area of my site ... look under "working with slips"

http://www.ccpottery.com/murrinis.html

Dear Chris,

I have visited your site now. I must say your work is beautiful. Yes, experiment. I will do that. A few strokes will tell me something and as you say, even it if cracks or chips, there may be something in it that is exciting.

I remember years ago being shown how to put slip on top of glaze. The crackle was effective.

I will try and keep you all posted.

Thank you Chris.

Nelly

#5 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I use a cone 10 porecelain (Highwater's Helios) as a slip for cone 6 wares . . . no problems. I add mason stains and put a clear over the colored slips. I also use a white slip I make from scratch on all things from earthenware to cone 10 reduction . . . no problems.

Dear Bciskepottery,

Thank you to you too. While I have no porcelain in my studio, I will give it a whirl to see what happens. If nothing else, I will learn yet another lesson.

Thank you again,

Nelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users