Question about Decorating Slip

Pugaboo

Newbie here with another question. I bought and have been watching the Erin Furimsky DVD and on it she makes decorating slip using some of her clay body, water and mason stain. is it really that simple? Here on the forum I've been reading and there seems to be a wide variance in recipes for decorating slip so am a bit confused. Erin Furimsky dries the clay then reconstitutes it with the water, adds the mason stain, pushes it through a 100 gauge sieve, fills the slip trailer and decorates. Seems easy but is there something she is doing that isn't shown on the DVD?

I'll tell you what I want to do so maybe you can tell me if the simple: clay body, water and mason stain recipe will work for me. I want to do slip trailing on leather hard clay. I plan to use the same clay to make the piece as I use to make the decorating slip so they will be compatible shrinkage wise. To start I am going to use the decorating slip with no mason stain added I want the raised texture of the slip to cause the glaze to break over the slip trailed design. Will that work?

Terry

Use any smooth white clay body that fires to the cone you are glaze firing to. Dry it out completely. Weigh it, and add anywhere from 1-20% stain by weight. How much stain you need will require testing. Then mix it with water, let it turn to mush, and either screen it or blend with a stick blender. Test, test, test....

Pugaboo;

Most of us, in fact probably all of us on this forum don't hide any secrets. As Neil said, it's that simple. Sometimes with Mason stains, you can get a coarse bit of colour. Make sure you sieve through a 100 mesh sieve. There, I used sieve as a noun AND a verb. Go figure.

TJR.cool.gif

Thank you and I didn't think anyone was hiding anything just wondered if the DVD had edited out some boring steps is all. While researching this here on the forum some of the recipes were very elaborate adding this that and the other thing ( most of which i have no clue what they are!) in various amounts so I was wondering if maybe I was just misunderstanding or not seeing something that a more experienced potter would just know. I will use the simple method/ recipe and test it out and see how it goes from there. Once again thank you again for sharing your experience with this newbie.

Terry

Archived