There is a brand new Simon Leach video on utube where he does a great demo on attaching a handle.  Might help to watch it. Just go to Utube, search for Simon Leach, and look at the one just posted.  He also has many, many others on all sorts of things.

Thanks for all the great advice. I threw 10 something mugs yesterday. Ended up keeping one after the trimming/handle process. Had a few fly off the wheel, woops. Had several others that the handle popped off, and had a few that the handle was just ugly. Promptly trashed them all. Gonna start again tomorrow. About my 5th week in pottery and 2nd week owning my own wheel. I don't have a kiln yet, so I just build things then trash over and over and over.

The advice here is great, and I am going to make like 10 Octomugs tomorrow.

weather you pull, roll, extrude, throw, or grab a glob of clay and slap it on as a handle make it yours.  many people say that pulling handles is the best way to make  one and if you like pulling handles go for it.  if not don't.  the handle must be something that speaks to you, if it looks good and feels good to you run with it.  make lots of them. attach them to a lot of pots test them through the firing process. do what make you happy you did it.   its your art.  don't let any one tell you how it should look.  there are as many types and way to make handles as there are people doing it.  watch your connections. and practice you style a lot.   practice makes permanent..do your best,  have fun and let us see what you come up with.

Tom

Grype, your lack of a kiln at this stage will actually serve you well in your development as a potter.  The making and trashing and making again is not done enough by many of those first throwing pots.  You will learn that it's just dirt and no one pots is 'precious'.

Yes, one of the hardest lessons to teach is when to throw that precious item out. I guess part of the lesson is that there is nothing so precious that it can't be recycled. When demonstrating or working in the HS, occasionally I would get a weird comment from one of the kids "what would you do if I wrecked that"; I would tell them that after I had crucified them I would just make another. :P

Guest JBaymore

And I really do think it's not just about practicing. Analyzing pots as I drifted off to sleep, dreaming about that perfect handle, visualizing it before I headed to the workshop ... All of it is working. It's working!

There is the saying and myth that everyone seems to 'know'; "Practice makes perfect".

Unfortunately it is not a true statement as it sits.

Repetitively practicing something like a motor skill activity which is being done poorly simply ingrains the poor performance and makes it harder to change the movements later. INFORMED and CONSIDERED practice moves your performance toward what might be called "perfect". This means being 'in the moment' and analyzing what you are doing with each subsequent repetition to improve on that last performance. If you can't figure out how to change things for more successful outcomes, that is where the help of a teacher comes in.

Mindless practice (repetition) really doesn't help when you are trying to develop a skill. (What is that definition of insanity........ doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.)

best,

..................john

Guest JBaymore

Grype, your lack of a kiln at this stage will actually serve you well in your development as a potter.  The making and trashing and making again is not done enough by many of those first throwing pots.  You will learn that it's just dirt and no one pots is 'precious'.

Amen!

best,

...................john

Yea I already look at most of my work as, well I'm just learning. When I chip a pot or something goes wrong when I am throwing I dont even worry about trying to fix it. I just go BLAMP and start over.

Archived