Kiln Controler

yedrow

Guest JBaymore

And the panel at NCECA that included significant players in the filed of controllers talked about how relatively primitive the cone behavior model is that is used in those various controllers at this time.

So let the controller function to guide the ramping and holds aspects of the firing, but use witness cones as the "final say" on your claywork until the next generation of these things is available.

best,

..................john

If I were to buy a controller, should I get a single zone vs multiple zone controller? How many segments? And should I get it with or without a KISS interface?:mellow:src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif">

Multi zone is awesome. Much more consistent firings than single zone, and firings are not really affected by how you load the kiln.

The KISS interface is a toy, in my opinion. It lets you look at all sorts of numbers pertaining to the firing, which is interesting, but kilns are not all that accurate in engineering terms, so all that really detailed information doesn't really help you out that much. Maybe if you're doing some super touchy crystalline type work, but that's it. I've had customers who demanded I fix their kilns because the KISS software showed some inconsistencies in the firings, even though the pots all looked the same, and looked like they were supposed to. They got so hung up on numbers that they couldn't see that the pots were fine.

Archived