Respirator?

I am very new to ceramics and am trying to do things safely. I have a 3M model 6001 respirator it says its for Organic Vapor. Is this the type of mask I need for clay dust? If not what kind do I need? Thanks.

nope. you want p100 filters (they will be pink, whereas i assume the OV carts. you have on yours are greenish) Thisought to do nicely, and it still affords you the OV protection.

We have a "respirator fitment program" on campus that fits specific types of respirators to the jobs being performed. We were recommended the 3M N95 respirators for ceramics use since they are rated to filter particulates. I buy the 8210 version as they fit most faces very well, and get the 8110s version for people with small faces. Nice thing about the N95 respirators is that they come in both the disposable version as well as the cartridge filters for reusable masks. Also, you can buy them from Home Depot/Lowes in the drywall area (but I usually buy them in bulk)

I did searches on all the models mentioned, thank you. I had not even looked at "paper" masks since my teacher said not to use them but after reading the descriptions it sounds like what I need at least until I can find someplace to try on the permanent kind. I wear glasses and finding a mask that fits and still allows me to see is a challenge. The one I have was bought years ago for spray varnishes and such and I don't know if they have changed the design since then so the pink cartridge might not even fit mine. I found the 3M 8210 and 8271 disposable mask at Axners so I will buy a few of each and use them. Once again thank you for your help being new to this and trying to set up a ceramics work area is a bit daunting since what I know will fit in a thimble and the knowledge I need to know is the size of an ocean.

Terry

Diane Thank you! I just ordered the respirator and some extra filters. It was very nice of you to take the time to suggest one and to let me know you wear glasses and it works okay for you. I am going to get a couple of the disposable ones as well from axners to pit in my kit to take with me to class. Problem solved thank you everyone!

i can't comment on the reusable cartridge-style respirators since i actually prefer the 8210 - but i do wear glasses and they fit just fine as long as you know how to use it properly. yes, there is a "proper" way to use a disposable respirator, and the certification program makes sure you know how. for an 8210 respirator: they are not rated to work for men with facial hair, top strap must be placed above the ears and the bottom strap below the ears, hold finger on bridge of metal nose-piece and gently massage the metal to conform to the shape of your nose (do not simply pinch it making a "V"). with proper fitment/adjustment, you should NOT feel any air escape with a heavy exhale or while talking - if it does, it's either not adjusted properly or it's the wrong size for your face. i know it's kind of ridiculous to hear this, but no more ridiculous than spending an hour with a disposable respirator strapped on your face, that's hooked up to a PPM monitoring device so the technician can see how it fits when you do jumping jacks, bend over, move arms, and read a ridiculous poem. also, the 8210s can be reusable up to a few times if you weren't using it in a heavy dust area, and if you keep it clean and store in a bag.

Archived