#21 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

If you could set up a device to check wheel true "ness." Think truing stand for bicycle wheel.

First thought
place level on wheel and level as best as pos/bile with shims under legs.
Then with plumb bob, suspended independently above wheel check level ness which wheel turning.
Then check if wheel is centered by placing plumb bob at edge of wheel, this will Test centricity. At least you will know absolutely if its a wheel problem v. human error.

As bob said if latter is true it is still possible to center. Try centering with eyes closed and not touching bat or wheel.
Have you had someone else try and center and pull on your wheel?

Matrix quote

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Replace bend with center and spoon with clay....
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#22 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

This may sound obvious but,.. did you check under the feet of the wheel and make sure all the feet are flat on the floor. And then place a level on the the wheel head to see if it is level? When I first got my wheel and after I moved it once it took some time to level it. When it was unlevel it was extremely hard to center.

-chantay

- chantay

#23 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Well, it isn't the set screw; we tightened everything up today, and it is better, but still the same problem? I did borrow a table top older wheel from a friend, and was able to get something centered on the first try on her old wheel. Granted the second attempt wasn't so good......but I have no idea what to do now....up a creek without a paddle. Granted, I am a little confused, I have seen these wheels on the internet for as little as $600; Georgies in Portland has them advertised for $980 or so...how can there be such a price difference?

the reason that there is a price difference is that ~930 is the msrp. their cost is probably 40% of that. It is not uncommon to sell goods well below the msrp to attract buyers and to try to sell volume to make up for the lack of margin (or to make your real money on accessories which, in retail, usually carry a higher margin.

#24 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'd love to have a wheel that is slightly off center.

Jim

Dear Jim! For a reasonable price, I will off-center any pieces of clay for you even on a perfectly functioning and symmetrically centered wheel!

#25 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'd love to have a wheel that is slightly off center.

Jim

Dear Jim! For a reasonable price, I will off-center any pieces of clay for you even on a perfectly functioning and symmetrically centered wheel!

You've got competition . . . http://www.marcspotterytools.com/

Or another approach to centering (Ruthanne Tudball demo) . . . http://www.youtube.c...bed/hpadOaQMR5o (thanks to June Perry's blog)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users