Testing for glaze toxicity

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me understand how to make sure glazes I make from recipes are non-toxic. I won't be using any lead, but obviously other oxides are toxic, and I read warnings about them but no advice on how to make sure the finished piece is food safe. I'm getting back into pottery after several years idle (no kiln access), and all my prior experience was in classroom situations where the instructors prepared the glazes and suggested which to use.

I'm also hoping to create dinnerware that will withstand normal use without knives marking the finish. I'll be firing in a Paragon Touch n Go, trying to keep it to cone 6 to keep the kiln lasting a while. I've read that there are tests, but what are they? I have lots of questions, actually.

One more question - I remember that cobalt oxide needed to have an overglaze to turn blue - is there any specific clear glaze, or would any one do it?

Thanks so much. I've been reading like crazy, but I can't find all my notebooks, and it's maddening to remember bits and pieces and not have my instructor there to ask!

I'd suggest picking up a copy of John Hesselberth and Ron Roys "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes". The provide a good discussion on making safe, durable glazes and a wealth of glaze recipes -- base glazes and glazes with colorants/clears -- for you to choose from. Best, they have labortory tested the glazes for durability and safety . . . so that gives you a head start.

Thanks to all of you for responding. I will look for that book. I also have been reading a variety of other books, including Woody, Rhodes, Zamek, Britt, and Murfitt. Zamek does give specific info on glaze and clay body testing. Just wanted to check with the minds here. Thanks again!

Archived