Can Crazing Be Sealed?

Hello,

I've only been involved in ceramics for a few years now at a community college. I've made some peices in a low fire class and they have crazing in the clear claze. My problem isn't about food safety. I made three herb planters and a matching tray and there were to sit in the kitchen window. The crazing will allow the water to leak and possibly ruin the window sill. Any ideas how I can make these water proof?

Thanks

Stargatekatie

Hello,

I've only been involved in ceramics for a few years now at a community college. I've made some peices in a low fire class and they have crazing in the clear claze. My problem isn't about food safety. I made three herb planters and a matching tray and there were to sit in the kitchen window. The crazing will allow the water to leak and possibly ruin the window sill. Any ideas how I can make these water proof?

Thanks

Stargatekatie

Hi, you could paint the tray with 'Bondcrete' to make it waterproof. I have done this in the past with low fire ware that i want to put water in. The product is a type of concrete sealer found in most hardware shops. Called 'Bondcrete' here in Australia.

Archived