21 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Greeenman

Chris Greeenman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hey all,

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. This has generated quite a bit of thought! I hope the discussion continues. About the intellectual property thing- yea it definitely is related to that but the State of Alabama has this strict code of ethics that makes this situation much more difficult. I was actually on the Faculty Senate committee that was supposed to write the policy for Intellectual property. We wrote it and were ready to submit it when the administration stepped in and hired some lawyer to write it for them. It did not help the situation for sure. Alabama Ethics Commission is very strict about using state funds materials space for personal gain. I think that I may contact them (Alabama Department of Ethics) just for my own peace of mind and curiosity. I certainly do not want to do anything that affects my colleagues positions.

I have always believed that my work in the studio at school was for the benefit of the students so that they see the whole process. Most of my students do not come from backgrounds that would have made them familiar with arts processes and ideas about the "life of an artist" so anything that can make this seem more possible and real to them I feel is justified.

#22 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

Universities , especially Class 1 Research Institutions, are really getting into the ownership of intellectual property rights.
Professors have to arrange for contracts prior to any financial gains..like from authoring books, or developing drugs for fighting cancer.
It gets even stickier when granting institutions become a third party.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users