What should I charge for this service?

Word is out that I have a pug mill. other potters, friends, are asking me about using it for reclaim purposes. I am willing to pug for them, but at my convenience and I will run the machine. They want to pay me something, they realize how expensive the pugger was. What would you charge per pound for pugging others clay.?

Word is out that I have a pug mill. other potters, friends, are asking me about using it for reclaim purposes. I am willing to pug for them, but at my convenience and I will run the machine. They want to pay me something, they realize how expensive the pugger was. What would you charge per pound for pugging others clay.?

They are cool aren't they. I'd think long and hard about doing it as it will need to be at least roughly, if not completely cleaned between different clay bodies, will wear out faster and I would guess would/could become a distraction that will eat up studio time. We run everything through as we work so if just a few folks take advantage you will likely find yourself doing a lot of pugging.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I didn't say I didn't want to do it . These are all people that do things for me, loan me studio equipment, swap glaze ingredients, share books and DVDs, a potter's group. loosly organized. and friends. And I am the largest clay user of this group, by FAR. It would be a small amount of outside clay, looking at my over all usage of the pugmill for my clay. But they WANT to pay me for doing this, because they know what the thing cost $$$$$$$$.

I'm just trying to figure a logical fee.

I didn't say I didn't want to do it . These are all people that do things for me, loan me studio equipment, swap glaze ingredients, share books and DVDs, a potter's group. loosly organized. and friends. And I am the largest clay user of this group, by FAR. It would be a small amount of outside clay, looking at my over all usage of the pugmill for my clay. But they WANT to pay me for doing this, because they know what the thing cost $$.

I'm just trying to figure a logical fee.

I'll answer your question -You have to decide what your time is worth-only you can do this-decide this and then add some machine/electricity costs per hour on top-have a minimum fee as well.

For example say your time is 25$ per hour and the machine/electric is another 10$ thats a total 35$ per hour.

Since only you know what these people have done for you you can subtract against this pre determined cost structure with whomever.Say joe blow really helped you by loaning a wheel-deduct that from the 35$ PER HOUR

You could also make this a per pond cost depending one the per pound output per hour of said pugmill.

I will say that this as many have already said is a poor idea.

But I set that aside and gave you some cost guidelines.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Instead of money....... find some task that YOU need to have done around the studio that THEY could do and that you find a real chore (or hate) .... thereby freeing you up to do more pot making. This seems equitable if they are friends.

best,

..................john

Thanks for the ideas. I like the hourly wage for time used idea. Yesterday I spent an hour reprocessing damp scraps for someone. Tonight that person is taking us out for wine and good food . ( Cooking a god meal after being in the studio all day is a job I hate) Sounds like a good trade this time. way more than my real hourly earnings, I bet. That is more comfortable that $$$ since these are people that I already trade many favors with. There are electricians, woodworkers , draftsmen, photographers in this group. All skills that I don't have.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the hourly wage for time used idea. Yesterday I spent an hour reprocessing damp scraps for someone. Tonight that person is taking us out for wine and good food . ( Cooking a god meal after being in the studio all day is a job I hate) Sounds like a good trade this time. way more than my real hourly earnings, I bet. That is more comfortable that $$ since these are people that I already trade many favors with. There are electricians, woodworkers , draftsmen, photographers in this group. All skills that I don't have.

Wow! A "god meal". You must be a great cook.

Jim

I am !

But not after a long studio day.

Should add, I have NO problem saying 'no' to those who haven't be willing to particiapte in the 'I'll help you, you help me" concept.

It sounds like a community type thing. I agree that those that haven't participated in the past should not benefit. However. if these folks are a support group you have put together over the years, it would benefit all for you to find an accommodation.

To the side here, I live nest to a church on one side, and a neighboring house on the other. I scrape(snow) and sweep my house and the church. I also scrape the house next to me. This is part of my exercise, but I know that if I am not out doing it, they do mine. They also make certain I have a parking space, and that my house is watched when I am away. Community!

If they want their work pugged ... make them do it, have them help with cleaning and upkeep and if you do need some sort of compensation .. have them wipe the bottoms of your ware while you glaze.

In college, I fixed the pug mills of my university and the professors wouldn't let anyone use it but me without my permission since I spent 2 weeks working on 3 pug mills, after that, it was a you help maintain or no-use. It worked out nicely, since I didn't have to clean chopped sponges and ribs out of the trap every other day like when I was the studio assistant at my community college.

Making them do it themselves and help with care of the pug mill will let them earn respect for the machine and not eff it up.

Archived