Suspicious Noise in Wheel

I bought a used Creative Industries Model HP wheel for $400 a few years ago. It has begun making a noise that worries me (and also drives me crazy). Remember that soft shtk-shtk-shtk noise the needle at the end of an LP makes? It's like that - not loud, but regular. I noticed it last night and thought something might have gotten stuck underneath the wheel head and was brushing against a part on the underside of the wheel - that's how it sounds - but that wasn't it.

I'm worried that it's the bearings and marks the beginning of the end for my cheap little wheel.

Does this description ring any bells for anyone?

Bearings wearing usually sound a bit more like grinding, this sounds like something intermittently contacting a moving part. If you disconnect the belt that links the motor and wheel head you can isolate whether the sound is coming from the motor or the wheel head end of things and go from there.

My Laguna Pacifica wheel actually came with the advice to spray the belt with a silcone based spray on lube periodically to keep it quiet. Seemed like it would make it more prone to slippage, but I never did have that problem. When the belt got noisy, like neoprene rubbing unhappily together a quick squirt made it retunr to silent running status.

Richard

I bought a used Creative Industries Model HP wheel for $400 a few years ago. It has begun making a noise that worries me (and also drives me crazy). Remember that soft shtk-shtk-shtk noise the needle at the end of an LP makes? It's like that - not loud, but regular. I noticed it last night and thought something might have gotten stuck underneath the wheel head and was brushing against a part on the underside of the wheel - that's how it sounds - but that wasn't it.

I'm worried that it's the bearings and marks the beginning of the end for my cheap little wheel.

Does this description ring any bells for anyone?

I had the same thing happen with my NEW CI wheel- turns out the belt had slipped off the drive pulley in shipping and was slowly being shredded. This happened because the wheelhead had slipped down on the shaft. Look at the belt and the wheelhead & see if they have slipped out of position. It was not hard to fix at all. CI sent me a new belt & instructions I kept the slightly worn one for a spare.

Archived