Slab Cutter?

Hello

I'm not sure what to call what I'm going to try to describe: I have a vague recollection of a frame that will cut thin slabs from a large slab (or block) in uniform pieces? Tet me try again: I want to reduce a large cube of clay into uniform slices by removing (lowering) the height of the frame after every cut?

Hope that paints the right picture. I forgot to mention that a cutting wire is drawn across the frame by hand for each cut (frame lowering)...

Thanks

Glen

HERE

Thanks Neil

You know basically what I'm after but not quite.

I want to be able to draw the cutting wire across two supports, forming a channel (where the original slab sits) Similar to the way a slab roller uses several sheets of Masonite only in this case you would remove the material (masonite)? To bad I couldn't send a drawing, eh?

I've got one that I made years ago. It's a slab of steel about 24 x 18 inches with a piece of channel iron welded to each corner. The channel Iron hold the masonite slats that are piled in. I made a bow out of smaller iron (it's not bowed like a bow and arrow but like and "E" without the middle bar) and strung it with piano wire that is tightened with a screw like a hacksaw. It works great.

Jim

I think you mean this thing:

https://www.sheffiel...ductCode=CCAMSC My link

No Timbo, thanks for your effort! I have a design in mind that will require little effort to make, and when I'm finished (Monday-ish) I'll post a picture...

Thanks again all

I thought the skills and knowledge from my 20+ year hiatus would come back quicker but I'm finding it a bit of a challenge!

you mean something like this?

cutting_slabs_of_clay.jpg

I found this on Google Images. Looks like a homemade device and fairly simple to make on your own. Not sure how flat your slabs will stay if you remove them like in the pic since clay has memory.

Another, simpler, option might be to put two slab rolling sticks down on the sides of your clay, then just slice with a wire across the top of the sticks. This way you get your even thickness, and have the option to move the clay block to another surface so you don't disturb your cut piece = less warping

I believe it was Randy Johnston who showed me how to make one. 2 pieces of oak sticks with notches cut in equal increments. Hold them upright with a wire stretched between them like a tightrope, and pull toward you over the block of clay to slice. Move the wire down a notch and slice again, etc...

I believe it was Randy Johnston who showed me how to make one. 2 pieces of oak sticks with notches cut in equal increments. Hold them upright with a wire stretched between them like a tightrope, and pull toward you over the block of clay to slice. Move the wire down a notch and slice again, etc...

I have made several of these sticks with notches or nails on the stick to measure the thickness. Usually started with two 1X3, tape together side by side, mark measured lines on both the thickness you want the slabs, use saw to cut grooves to hold cutting wire. remove tape, place cutting wire in notch at top of stick, draw through block for first cut, then follow each notch down until at bottom. You may want to make a couple as tiles, and slabs for construction are different thicknesses.

Bingo

That's the one I had in mind... Percolator that picture is the design I was going to make (Out of Steel since I have a welder)

Thanks all for your help I will check out some of the links and stuff later --maybe there are better designs, I already see an improvement?

So Thanks again all!

Glen

you mean something like this?

cutting_slabs_of_clay.jpg

I found this on Google Images. Looks like a homemade device and fairly simple to make on your own. Not sure how flat your slabs will stay if you remove them like in the pic since clay has memory.

Another, simpler, option might be to put two slab rolling sticks down on the sides of your clay, then just slice with a wire across the top of the sticks. This way you get your even thickness, and have the option to move the clay block to another surface so you don't disturb your cut piece = less warping

In my experience, it is only porcelain that has memory. If stoneware is lifted like this and not bent, then laid down carefully, it will be fine.

I've got one that I made years ago. It's a slab of steel about 24 x 18 inches with a piece of channel iron welded to each corner. The channel Iron hold the masonite slats that are piled in. I made a bow out of smaller iron (it's not bowed like a bow and arrow but like and "E" without the middle bar) and strung it with piano wire that is tightened with a screw like a hacksaw. It works great.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I have an idea for my old hacksaw?

check this out for making slabs

first couple minutes

Fascinating! Thanks

Would be fascinating to me, if I could get the link to work. I don't understand why the period is between the u and b of tube. Link has not worked on several tries!!??

check this out for making slabs

first couple minutes

I went to watch the beginning, ended up watching the whole thing. I am just fascinated watching other artists work.......well, any type of craftsman, or fabricator, for that matter.

Would be fascinating to me, if I could get the link to work. I don't understand why the period is between the u and b of tube. Link has not worked on several tries!!??

Sorry that is not working for you, ... hope it is interesting to you. I just find his strength and ease of cutting clay inspiring....

search for this

BonsaiArtisans has shared a video with you on YouTube:

“Lindsay Farr's World of Bonsai - episode 12†— Katsushi Kataoka Pot creation part 1. Tokoname

Archived