layering purchased glaze

Mixing glazes is NOT a matter of A+B=C.... Sometimes A+B=Q... I use a nice transparent blue-green glaze I buy by the pint. I found if I put it over a white glaze, it produces a beautiful roiling blue and white, but it totally looses the green.

In other words, you won't really know what you're going to get until you do a trial.

Mixing glazes is NOT a matter of A+B=C.... Sometimes A+B=Q... I use a nice transparent blue-green glaze I buy by the pint. I found if I put it over a white glaze, it produces a beautiful roiling blue and white, but it totally looses the green.

In other words, you won't really know what you're going to get until you do a trial.

Very good analogy. I always tell my students, glazes are not paint. Mixing blue and yellow, might give you green. But it could also give you pink.....I've never had that happen, with my glazes, but I think it illustrates the point.

.....Because of this discussion, I'm half way tempted to go and make some test tiles, with clear layered over top each of my other glazes.....

Archived