Creative people say NO

Creative people say NO more than other people .... interesting reading.

It seems we are more aware of how much time we have left, how we should use our time and how easily it can be wasted.

I know I am hyper aware of how quickly it passes and how 'musts' turn into 'should haves' .....

https://medium.com/thoughts-on-creativity/bad7c34842a2

What do you all think of this?

I love this. It takes a really long time to learn that saying "no" is not wrong. But really, you cannot run a succesful creative venture without it.

Here's my version ... because all of these requests come to me through the contact form on my website (because they are from people who do not have my actual email address), sometime last year I added this verbiage on that form:

"Some proactive expectations management ... I try to respond to the notes and questions I receive through this form, but I don't always manage to do it! So many pots to make, so little time."

Mea

No took me a long time to come around to as far as pottery orders-but now its the right answer

As Mea eluded to as far as e-mail contacts -No is often the outcome as people think I'm Amazom and I'm not.

For aspiring potters the sooner you learn No the better for you and the bottom line.

Can you make me a left handed mustache mug that says grampa on the side--Well NO I cannot.

Mark

It seems like I say NO a lot anymore. Someone sees my work and then comes up and ask me it they can take classes from me so I can teach them to make pottery like mine. I already feel like I don't have enough time in my studio and I sure don't want to spend it on some one who doesn't seem to appreciate the time and education it takes to get good consistent work. I guess I'm a selfish person but time is to short and rare to share. Denice

I agree! Fabulous post Chris. Right now I am doing my taxes, and have to say "No" to the studio. All those little restaurant receipts and bills for clay.OMG.Two days sitting unfolding scraps of paper. I have said NO to matching the green plate from a broken dinner ware set.Or matching Belique pottery. It does get easier to say NO as we get older. Is it because time becomes more precious?

TJR.

It seems we are more aware of how much time we have left, how we should use our time and how easily it can be wasted.

I know I am hyper aware of how quickly it passes and how 'musts' turn into 'should haves' .....

https://medium.com/t...ty/bad7c34842a2

Was it a creative guy that said "Time is Money"? Seems like that is what most of this is about. I guess I'm not very creative as I spend a lot of time on the forums here, as many of you do. :lol:src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif">

You need to reciprocate kindness but you use your time where it will do the most good. I help, shop and make calls for my mother-in law who is 90 and also took care of my parents until they passed. Denice

Denice;

You can say "no" without being rude. You also can still do all of your obligations to your family. Yes, I present a lot of workshops for little pay and give back to the youth. What we are talking about here are those soul crushing projects that you might get stuck doing.

One school I taught at-come to think of it, it's my current school, asked me to calligraphy all the high school diplomas. I said "No,I am left handed, and all the ink would smear". The other art teacher is left-handed as well. I said no for her as well. I can actually do calligraphy, but it takes me forever. Can you imagine the time it would take for that?

I was also asked to make a 1000 paper cranes in origami. I said no to that as well.angry.gif

TJR.

Half the time I don't even say NO .... I point to my shirt ... it's printed on it. I also have 'I don't work here' and 'go away' ... 3 shirts that save me so much energy.

I saw one that says; "I'm on break" She wears it all the time. All day. I think it's a bit rude myself.

TJR.

No took me a long time to come around to as far as pottery orders-but now its the right answer

As Mea eluded to as far as e-mail contacts -No is often the outcome as people think I'm Amazom and I'm not.

For aspiring potters the sooner you learn No the better for you and the bottom line.

Can you make me a left handed mustache mug that says grampa on the side--Well NO I cannot.

Mark

What! NO to the grampa mug.... but it's all I have ever wanted and make sure you use that exact eggshell blue glaze (you know the one...like my car but just a bit lighter and not so shiny) or I will argue. haha T

I also think that sometimes I take the request too personally .... Now that I have started saying no more often I notice no one is particularly crushed, they just ask the next person in line. The next warm body .... I thought they needed me but no, they just needed someone to do whatever.

I also think that sometimes I take the request too personally .... Now that I have started saying no more often I notice no one is particularly crushed, they just ask the next person in line. The next warm body .... I thought they needed me but no, they just needed someone to do whatever.

The article was great! I thought I was saying no more often simply because I am getting older and crabbier....who knew it was because I am getting more and more creative!

Roberta

• 3 weeks later...

https://medium.com/thoughts-on-creativity/bad7c34842a2

This is so interesting! I have found that since I started pottery and now jewelry making, I say "No" all of the time. Right now, I am dreading a wedding 5 hours away in 2 weeks because I will lose the whole weekend, and I already lose the weekdays because of my full time job. To me, unless it is something inspirational, it is just not interesting to me. I am 51, and getting such a late start already, to spend time on things I wasted time on for years already just doesn't happen anymore. One friend even told me I am not fun anymore! I don't know, I am having lots of fun, just not out partying with them!

Nancy

I was out walking my dog the other morning. I do this everyday. My neighbour stopped to talk. Another neighbour also joined us. They know each other. I didn't really know him. She said to him;"Now that you are retired, are you going to do a lot of golfing?"

I thought that was the most ridiculous idea I had ever heard. Can you imagine golfing for twenty years? It is also winter here for 5 months of the year. I didn't say this, but I thought it... What about building something-like a deck, a patio table, a storage shed, bunk beds for the grand kids.

After I shuffle off this mortal coil, I would not want my legacy to be;"He golfed a lot. A really lot."

No offense to golfers out there. I am just using this as a contrast to making something with your hands.

I make teapots. They really pour. They last 2000 years. What about you?

TJR.

I was out walking my dog the other morning. I do this everyday. My neighbour stopped to talk. Another neighbour also joined us. They know each other. I didn't really know him. She said to him;"Now that you are retired, are you going to do a lot of golfing?"

I thought that was the most ridiculous idea I had ever heard. Can you imagine golfing for twenty years? It is also winter here for 5 months of the year. I didn't say this, but I thought it... What about building something-like a deck, a patio table, a storage shed, bunk beds for the grand kids.

After I shuffle off this mortal coil, I would not want my legacy to be;"He golfed a lot. A really lot."

No offense to golfers out there. I am just using this as a contrast to making something with your hands.

TJR.

It's all a matter of perspective. You feel all superior because you're a creative guy who makes things with his hands while the golfer produces nothing but a score on a piece of paper. BUT, from his perspective he's doing what he loves and you're just some guy with the silly hobby of making ceramic teapots that cost more but aren't nearly as nice as the glass ones he can buy at some upscale store. What a waste of time! Somebody needs to get Gollum out of his studio and onto a great big green golf course where he can find meaning for his poor, miserable life.

Jim

TJR.

It's all a matter of perspective. You feel all superior because you're a creative guy who makes things with his hands while the golfer produces nothing but a score on a piece of paper. BUT, from his perspective he's doing what he loves and you're just some guy with the silly hobby of making ceramic teapots that cost more but aren't nearly as nice as the glass ones he can buy at some upscale store. What a waste of time! Somebody needs to get Gollum out of his studio and onto a great big green golf course where he can find meaning for his poor, miserable life.

Jim

Jim;Made me laugh! Actually, I do look quite a bit like Gollum. If you could see it outside, you would cry. It is STILL snowing. No golf for buddy there. I am warm in my studio. Gollump [said like Gollum. Doesn't really translate to typing.]

Go hit the links, Jim.

TJR.blink.gif

TJR.

Jim

Jim;Made me laugh! Actually, I do look quite a bit like Gollum. If you could see it outside, you would cry. It is STILL snowing. No golf for buddy there. I am warm in my studio. Gollump [said like Gollum. Doesn't really translate to typing.]

Go hit the links, Jim.

TJR.blink.gif

I'm sure you don't look anything like Gollum and I've seen pictures of your teapots which look really nice (even when upside down). And, what's a little snow for the privilege of living in Canada. BTW, I've only played golf one time in my life and left in the middle of the game yelling some comment about it being one big ###### waste of time.

Jim

Archived