#21 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

My final ball milling jar could have passed for a commercial version. However, the project turned out to be a bust.

I disagree with Harry Davis who, in the Potters alternative,  says that he sees no advantage of well matured porcelain over well matured stoneware.

I made my jar out of cone 6's stoneware and fired it to cone 7, just to make sure it was well matured. With some balls made out of the same material I ran it for about 10 hours to grind off any roughness. After rinsing it out thoroughly, I did a one hour test milling with just water and balls. My one gallon jar produced 4.81 g of dried, powdered stoneware. This is about 10 times more than would be acceptable.

Maybe remaking it with porcelain would have been better but I think that stuff is still not as hard as the porcelain they use to manufacture these jars.

I just bought a 5 L porcelain milling jar with balls.

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#22 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to hear your experiment didn't work out.

If you do want to try making one again I had good luck using both a Kalamata Olive jar (about 1 gallon capacity total) plus a huge Asian Pickled Egg Jar (held 4 gallons of glaze), both had gaskets and 2 part screw on lids that sealed well. I used porcelain marbles. Like Atomic Axe said (post 15) the grinding against the sides is minimal. Interesting to know what you found out about stoneware marbles not standing up, thanks for sharing that.

Min

#23 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Min

before venturing into making my own ball milling jar, I was using a glass jar similar to your olive jar. I used glass marbles. It seemed to work pretty well but I've been having so much trouble with weird glazes behavior, I thought the small amount of glass being ground off might be part of that.

I can feel fairly confident that my commercial milling jar will lease not contribute to these issues.

Larry

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#24 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Yup, I'm sure your commercial ball mill jar will be great. I was trying to do it on the cheap, I always seem to be trying to find a way to make a tool rather than spend the money and buy one. Sometimes my homemade stuff does work : )  My husband made my slab roller and an electric extruder, the "make it yourself" thing runs in the family.

Min

#25 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Making the ball mill is much more simple than making the jar and balls.. I did show the plans for my ball mill. I bought the jar from Amaco as well and the grinding balls. A few years ago I saw some ball mill jars for sale on Labx.com just as I was leaving for a long trip. They are out there.

Marcia

#26 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

I'm for the cheap model too but sometimes it just doesn't work. I made my own ball mill similar to the Shimpo wheel attachment. Rather than about $500 mine cost me about a dollar and a half and I think works every bit as the deluxe model.

Did you ever think about having your husband write up how he made the slab roller and the electric extruder so the rest of us can benefit from his experience?

My God  avatar was a reaction to some of the guys self demeaning avatars.

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users