Human Ash Glaze Cone 6

brotherborg

Recenly my father died and I was asked to make the urn for his ashes and use part of the ashes in the glaze. I understand that most of what is left from cremation is bone ash and pulverized bone. Does anyone have any experience with this subject?

I'm sorry for your loss.

I know it has been done with pets, but I do not know the formulas used.

Recenly my father died and I was asked to make the urn for his ashes and use part of the ashes in the glaze. I understand that most of what is left from cremation is bone ash and pulverized bone. Does anyone have any experience with this subject?

Here is a link to Hank Murrow's web site; I recall from Clayart that Hank recently did this for a friend. You can find his contact email on the site. Hank fires to Cone 10, though.

http://www.murrow.biz/hank/

• 1 year later...

Sorry for your loss

I have dealt with 4 of my family members ashes over the years-

If ashes are used at cone 10 the flux similar to wood ashes

I have zero experience at cone 6 but a wood ash formula at cone 6 would work fine I'm sure. Just replace wood ash with human ash.

You may have to crunch them up some more with a mortar and pestle. Sorry if this sounds strange but its what it is.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

If ashes are used at cone 10 the flux similar to wood ashes

I have zero experience at cone 6 but a wood ash formula at cone 6 would work fine I'm sure. Just replace wood ash with human ash.

The wrong solution. Wood ash and bone ash don't seem, they mainly contain the KOH-Ca(OH)2 mix(fluxes for low and middle temperature) and the Ca3(PO4)2(melting temperature about 1250C) respectively.

It is possible to use bone ash at some glaze test samples and to choose the best?

• 4 months later...

My wife makes Urns using human ash. She uses a stoneware recipe but its a casting recipe. I am pretty sure that she modified it from an Australian recipe she found online that uses eckalite. As for making the glaze, human ashes are mostly bone ash. I hope its not against the rules but I see other people posting websites. Ours is http://www.mieksclayworks.com/ if you want to see some of what can be made.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Here is a possibility for you. Jeff Zamek wrote an article "Black Friday" about using his dog's ashes in a Ceramics Monthly article. I believe that included a Cone 6 recipe.

From a google search:

Black Friday Glaze Con 6/ox

Nepheline syenite 270x 20

Whiting 15

EPK 18

Ferro frit #3124 20

Flint 325x 17

Bone ash (Friday) 10

Mason black stain #6600 12

CMC 1%

• 7 years later...

Um, know this post is super old but my bfs mom is rather sick and he has asked me when the time comes if I could make him and his siblings pottery with their mothers ashes somehow. Did you have any luck with the glaze or putting the ash in the pottery? I would appreciate any help, thanks.

9 hours ago, garnetglaze said:

Um, know this post is super old but my bfs mom is rather sick and he has asked me when the time comes if I could make him and his siblings pottery with their mothers ashes somehow. Did you have any luck with the glaze or putting the ash in the pottery? I would appreciate any help, thanks.

We have covered this before very well so on the main page use the search function and you should be able to find what you need.

Archived