Shiho Kanzaki Making Coiled Tea Bowl

This is great:

Master potter Shiho Kanzaki making a coil/ pinch and throw tea bowl. What a great lesson this is !

I tried to mimic what he does exactly: funny but somehow mine did not quite come out the same (;

Anyone have one of these massive banding wheels packed away that you might be willing to part with? Want, want want !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8T4bsH8XQv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you for sharing. Kansakisan is a wonder potter and like to hear him write, his English is a little broken, but he gets his point across. His wood firing is perfect. He has a humbling back story where he decided to leave University and become a potter. He was shunned by his family for many years and lived in poverty for many years. I am sure if you do am internet search you will find his story and work.

This is great:

Master potter Shiho Kanzaki making a coil/ pinch and throw tea bowl. What a great lesson this is !

I tried to mimic what he does exactly: funny but somehow mine did not quite come out the same (;

Anyone have one of these massive banding wheels packed away that you might be willing to part with? Want, want want !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8T4bsH8XQv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was told that that larger shimpo/like banding wheels are only available overseas. I too enjoyed video. You can also friend him on face book. There is also a u tube vid of him trimming the bowls.

I did place a 25# plate ( used for weight lifting) on a shimpo wheel, topped with a bat, all attached with soft clay like in video. It worked great. I'm thinking on a making my own with bearings and weight plates.

Mine didn't look so good either. But are getting better. I've been having better success with pinch building, then finishing on banding wheel

he is a master!!! Look how consistent his coils are. If you watch his techniques as he is homogenizing the coils he also sort of pinch-pulls the walls for consistent wall thickness. From this more consistent state it is easier to "pull" and shape pot with banding wheel. With a very consistent coil build I was able to do the same with 28# shimpo banding wheel.

He did reply to via face book that His work is all coil built.

Ps . I 'd like to see your work

Archived