What are you hoping to get out of NCECA this year? Or, why are you not going?

Guest JBaymore

Given that is the the annual NCECA week coming up...........

What are you hoping to get out of attending NCECA this year? Or, why are you not going this year?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

Given that is the the annual NCECA week coming up...........

What are you hoping to get out of attending NCECA this year? Or, why are you not going this year?

Check out joining the Potters Council ( www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

For me it's all about networking this year. Last year was my first NCECA and I saw there was a very difinative difference between being an observer or a particpant. The lectures and demos where great but I wanted to be in a show. This year I'm in the NCECA NSJE and I plan on applying to grad school in dec so it's time to shine and meet as many professors from my target schools. I also plan on taking advantage of the student critique room.

Spring

Being so isolated from much ceramics in the tip of Texas, I want to see new work being done.

I hope to catch John Britt's lecture on ^6 Oxidation .Catch some thought provoking lectures or conversations.

And see old friends and meet new ones. SOme of my best friendships were started at previous NCECAs. And pick up a few supplies.

Marcia

I would love to go but I am on East Coast and just don't have the funds to travel and stay for any length of time. Waiting for something closer to me. I love workshops and trade shows and will go when I can get there easier and stay a short time, with fewer hotel bills.

I would love to go but I am on East Coast and just don't have the funds to travel and stay for any length of time. Waiting for something closer to me. I love workshops and trade shows and will go when I can get there easier and stay a short time, with fewer hotel bills.

Ditto here also on location and funds. Also I have a trip planned to China in April. I am going with a group, so most of the trip is preplanned, however one of the side trip extras was a trip to the terra cotta warrior site. That has me excited.

Or, why are you not going this year

Well for me its-

working on the really big show in two weeks-Need lots of work for big fair . Van needs to be full to roll 2500 miles .

Will be my 20th year (two of them per year-40shows) at this show.

My next plane trip will be to Molokai Hi. in April not Texas-(nothing personal lone star state) but I like fish more than longhorns.

Mark

I'm not going. I went once when it was in Phoenix and hated it. It felt too much like high school. All the cool kids gathered together and some of us were on our own. But seriously, it costs too much. I'd rather spend that money on buying books, tools, videos or going to workshops. I did like all the exhibits though, and some of the presentations were nice. It was frustrating though, that some good things were going on at the very same time so you had to choose one or the other, so I felt like I missed out on a lot.

Saw Spring's installed piece at the student national show . The sound it makes is very subtle but sweet.

Marcia

Marcia, they didnt turn the fan on, it was stuck on the wrong setting and was making a horrible noise. I came in and fixed that. fan is on high now with lots of sound and movement. Got a great response at the opening and someone placed an offer :) if u r in the area I hope u get to see it, again. I'm going to the exhibition hall part on sat. hope you r at the booth.

thanks, spring

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

I also would love to go, but am on the east coast and can't swing the time off from teaching job me the expense. Waiting for one closer to me, but they don't seem to be migrating this way any time soon.

The 2015 NCECA is in Providence, R.I.. After that,..... Kansas City.

best,

.............john

I got much more than expected. SHows were wonderful, lectures excellent. Proximity to good restaurants was great. La Meridiana party was fun. Texas party was a great crowd. Met Jason Hooper from Austin who makes beautiful pots. Caught up with many old friends.

Met some new ones. Might be doing a Raku workshop in Tucson next winter as a result.

NCECA is the Highlight of the professional year for me.

It has never been in Milwaukee nor Providence. Looking forward to both. The last Kansas City NCECA, the bus tours were the best ever. They ran efficiently.

Marcia

Saw Spring's installed piece at the student national show . The sound it makes is very subtle but sweet.

Marcia

Marcia, they didnt turn the fan on, it was stuck on the wrong setting and was making a horrible noise. I came in and fixed that. fan is on high now with lots of sound and movement. Got a great response at the opening and someone placed an offer smile.gif if u r in the area I hope u get to see it, again. I'm going to the exhibition hall part on sat. hope you r at the booth.

thanks, spring

It was running fine on Monday night. Only three of us were in the gallery. Great way to see it...privately.

Marcia

Archived