Best pottery magazine?

I am thinking of subscribing to a pottery magazine and am wondering which one do you consider the best? I am a beginning potter and am looking for additional avenues of information. I live in a very small town with no bookstore so can't go page through magazines to see which would suit me. Thanks for your input!

Terry

Guest scott312

I am thinking of subscribing to a pottery magazine and am wondering which one do you consider the best? I am a beginning potter and am looking for additional avenues of information. I live in a very small town with no bookstore so can't go page through magazines to see which would suit me. Thanks for your input!

Terry

I was wondering also.

Terry

Depends on what you are looking for. Exposure, technical, aesthetics, thought provoking articles, avante garde: Ceramics Monthly. Hands on, demonstrations, techniques: Pottery Makings or Clay Time. There are others out there that fit more to the aesthetics, technical and historical, but the three I mentioned are mainstream here in the States.

These are just my ratings, my opinion ... your results may vary. : - )

It all depends on what you are looking for :

techniques and education ... Pottery Making Illustrated.

education, potter profiles, interesting work with access to show/competitions info ... Ceramics Monthly

Peer reviewed technical info and interesting articles ... Ceramics Art & Perception / Technical

Challenging work to drool over with potter profiles ... Ceramics Arts & Perception

All around good pottery magazine with interesting writers ... Clay Times

Challenging brain food for potters ... Studio Potter

Don't forget to supplement with the CAD area of this site and spend countless hours watching videos and learning.

Chris,

That is a great summary. Couldn't have said it better.

These are all American magazines. Don't forget Ceramics Review from UK.

Marcia

Marcia;

I hate quible, but Ceramic Art and Perception and CAandP Technical are Australian.

Tom

Chris,

Marcia

Marcia;

I hate quible, but Ceramic Art and Perception and CAandP Technical are Australian.

Tom

Technically maybe. The editor, Elaine O'Henry, lives in Wyoming. She has been there for several years. She is the former President of NCECA.

There is also Australian Ceramics.

and it continues to cover international ceramics. I don't think it is really Australian nor American but an international focus.

But it does have strong influences from US now. The former power house behind both magazines, Janet Mansfield, died recently. She leaves a great vacuum of influence.

The magazines continue to be top quality.

Marcia

Pottery Making Illustrated wins! I'll start with it since it sounds like it has a lot of what I am needing as a beginning potter. Next time I am in The Big City I will see if I can find a bookstore and go browse the magazine section for the others and if I like one or two pick up an individual copy rather than a years subscription. Thank you everyone I really appreciate the help.

Terry

Chris,

Marcia

Marcia;

Tom

Technically maybe. The editor, Elaine O'Henry, lives in Wyoming. She has been there for several years. She is the former President of NCECA.

Marcia;

Isn't Janet Mansfield the editor? I looked at an old copy. She may have moved on.

Tom.

Chris,

Marcia

Marcia;

Tom

Marcia;

Isn't Janet Mansfield the editor? I looked at an old copy. She may have moved on.

Tom.

She died recently a year or 2 ago.

We're getting old, Tom! It happens.

Marcia

Archived