what is this?

I love those stories! I don't know if you remember this one, but a woman in the states bought a Jackson Pollack painting at a garage sale for $25.00. It sold at auction for $2 million. Like Benzine, we don't have any Chinese pottery lying around. My father was not a British diplomat. He drove a truck.

TJR.blink.gif

Good thing, that piece wasn't in my house growing up. My siblings and I, did a good job of destroying anything ceramic in our house.....Sadly most, if not all, of it was my Dad's work from college.

My father traveled to Japan for years when in the USAF. While there he got into purchasing small figurines of people doing everyday work-writing, baking etc. These figures were ceramic, made of porcelain I think. The factory supposedly burned down and no more were made. My mother got PSP, and one day stumbled into the rack, and broke them all. My father painstakingly glued them back together again, but the damage had been done, more to my mother than the figurines. She was so upset. . . .

I love those stories! I don't know if you remember this one, but a woman in the states bought a Jackson Pollack painting at a garage sale for $25.00. It sold at auction for $2 million. Like Benzine, we don't have any Chinese pottery lying around. My father was not a British diplomat. He drove a truck.

TJR.blink.gif

There's a movie called "Who the &*$# is Pollack?" (The random signs are really part of the title instead of "########"--I wrote the word but CAD software will change it to hash marks I think. Insert one of those emoticons here.) It has been a while since I watched it so I may be wrong on some details but it is basically this: A lady truck driver had a friend who pulled a large painting out of a dumpster. The truck driver bought it for $5 and somehow someone who "knew" art thought it was a real Pollack. Experts get involved and some are sure it is a Pollack worth millions and others are equally sure that it is a fake worth nothing. I don't remember how it ended. For me the most interesting thing is that the same painting can be worth nothing or a fortune because of the colletability of it instead of its artistic merit. It's the same painting, just as good or just as bad no matter who painted it.

Jim

For me the most interesting thing is that the same painting can be worth nothing or a fortune because of the colletability of it instead of its artistic merit. It's the same painting, just as good or just as bad no matter who painted it.

Jim

Amen, Jim, amen.

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

TJR.blink.gif

There's a movie called "Who the &*$# is Pollack?" (The random signs are really part of the title instead of "########"--I wrote the word but CAD software will change it to hash marks I think. Insert one of those emoticons here.) It has been a while since I watched it so I may be wrong on some details but it is basically this: A lady truck driver had a friend who pulled a large painting out of a dumpster. The truck driver bought it for $5 and somehow someone who "knew" art thought it was a real Pollack. Experts get involved and some are sure it is a Pollack worth millions and others are equally sure that it is a fake worth nothing. I don't remember how it ended. For me the most interesting thing is that the same painting can be worth nothing or a fortune because of the colletability of it instead of its artistic merit. It's the same painting, just as good or just as bad no matter who painted it.

Jim

Jim;

This might be working into an urban legend. I am pretty sure I saw it on the news. The woman lived in a trailer park. She acquired the painting somehow-garage sale,dumpster. I am pretty sure she liked it and bought it rather than getting it from the garbage. She didn't know the value, she just liked the colours. Someone saw it hanging in her place and and asked her where she got the Pollack.Then she gets it appraised and becomes rich. The old rags to riches story. Don't know if it is true.

You can drag and drop your emoticon like this...ohmy.gifhuh.gifcool.gif

TJR.

TJR.blink.gif

Jim

Jim;

This might be working into an urban legend. I am pretty sure I saw it on the news. The woman lived in a trailer park. She acquired the painting somehow-garage sale,dumpster. I am pretty sure she liked it and bought it rather than getting it from the garbage. She didn't know the value, she just liked the colours. Someone saw it hanging in her place and and asked her where she got the Pollack.Then she gets it appraised and becomes rich. The old rags to riches story. Don't know if it is true.

You can drag and drop your emoticon like this...ohmy.gifhuh.gifcool.gif

TJR.

The movie is still available. Maybe it's time to put it back on my Netflix queue. But, regardless of the details, the point is that the value of that painting had nothing to do with aesthetics. There is another movie called "My Kid Could Paint That" that makes the point again. This time the paintings are valuable because (supposedly) a 4-year old did them. I remember when I was a potter in Denver a big stink about a sculpture some guy did (40 years ago so again details are more than fuzzy) being rejected from a show because they found out that it was a body cast. I was one of the few people who was outraged by this because it is the beauty, artist merit, whatever that gives an object artistic value, not how or by whom the object is created. (When the how and by whom is important, you're dealing with collectibility which is the reason a small porcelain bowl that would be worth $20 if made by Joe Blow is worth millions if made by a Chinese potter who died several centuries ago.) What difference does it make if someone spent a year carefully modeling a very detailed sculpture or half a day doing a body cast?

Jim

Once you see Pollack's work, you decide you could do it ... but the genius lies in the fact that he THOUGHT of it, he decided to try this way of conveying an idea. No one had done this before ... so saying a child could copy it is not amazing.

Anyone can COPY, few can come up with truly original ideas. He was broke most of the time and often traded work for groceries and whatever which is how his paintings ended up in the back of someone's closet. No one believed, no one took this work seriously. I would bet more than a few ended up in the local garbage dump.

Once you see Pollack's work, you decide you could do it ... but the genius lies in the fact that he THOUGHT of it, he decided to try this way of conveying an idea. No one had done this before ... so saying a child could copy it is not amazing.

Anyone can COPY, few can come up with truly original ideas. He was broke most of the time and often traded work for groceries and whatever which is how his paintings ended up in the back of someone's closet. No one believed, no one took this work seriously. I would bet more than a few ended up in the local garbage dump.

I disagree. I couldn't do what Pollack did and don't think many other people could despite their claims of "I could do that" or "my kid could do that". I don't think he would be happy that his paintings are appreciated for his invention of a technique, either. That's important for art history 101 but not for an appreciation of his work. He once said, "It doesn't make much difference how the paint is put on as long as something has been said. Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement."

Jim

Archived