Changing brushing glaze to dipping glaze

Hi everyone... I hope I'm posting this on the right "topic". I'm standing in front of 10 new bottles of Spectrum 1100 (cone5/6), and Amaco Potters Choice (cone 5/6) glazes. I don't know where to begin. I will brush them on my test tiles, but ultimately I would like to dip my pots. I understand that I can buy dry glazes and follow the directions to dip my pots. Does anyone know if I can add water to my new glazes to make them "dipping" glazes? If so, is there a ratio I can use? I love reading everyones "words of wisdom" and really hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I can use ANY pointers!!!rolleyes.gif

I would start by pouring all of the glaze into a bucket then adding some club soda or distilled water, not tap water, not filtered water but distilled water until the glaze is like a heavy cream consistancy. then dip your hand into the bucket and quickly pull it out. watch to see if the glaze runs right off your hand or if it remains like a glove of glaze. if it runs of then add some epsom salts dissolved in water a teaspoon at a time until your glaze is the right consistancy. Good Luck!

Darrel

Archived