Pebeo porcelaine paint - Kintsugi?

mregecko

Hi everyone -- just curious if anyone has used any of the Pebeo "porcelaine" paints before. They're a paint-and-bake (in an oven) that is supposed to set and be stable/washable, etc.

My curiosity stems from a fairly large platter that I threw, that formed a slight crack in the center. I know all the reasons S cracks happen, but I thought that this could be a fun project to play with Japanese Kintsugi -- "repairing" broken / cracked pieces with a mixture of Urushi (Resin) and gold dust, highlighting and celebrating the flaws.

Unfortunately, Urushi and gold dust are hard to come by and/or expensive.

So I went to my art store and found some different "approximations" to test on test pieces. I'm going to try some epoxy with powdered gold pigment, I got some gold leaf, and some Amaco Brush 'n Leaf.

But the one that I'm most intrigued by is the Pebeo Porcelaine paints. I've never used anything like them.

So... yeah. Anyone used them before? Think this will work, or am I just trying to imitate something that is inimitable?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a source for a kintsugi kit: http://www.mejiro-ja...intsugi-diy-set

Watch the urushi........ acts like poison ivy / poison oak. Nasty stuff.

best,

.................john

Thanks John! I've been doing a lot of research on it, and actual do have that kit ordered (only $55 US is fairly reasonable). I need this piece faster than the kit will arrive, but am excited to try it out on other pieces once it gets here :-)

PS It is consistently a pleasure reading your postings on here about Japanese culture. I lived in Japan for 7 years as a child (Okinawa, military brat) and some of my fondest memories are of generations-old potters there (Taba-san and his family's pottery works in Ogimi). Your sharing kindles that spirit!!

Archived