ring shaped bottles

Yep, that is how it is done, but the demo is a circular vase. Some people call them daisy wheels. The circular/ring pots I have seen in Europe were used as a water jug by workers in the field. They were worn on the arm and a bit bigger than the one in the demo.

I don't know the use of the ones from Japan. Maybe John Baymore knows.

Marcia

I just call it throwing a round tube without using an extruder. Largest I threw before was about 22" across and 6" in diameter. you can also extrude a tube and match it to a circle ... but meh ... I can throw a tube in 2 minutes, trimmed in 4 to 6 when dry enough.

Simple trick. just takes some practice making it, but much easier than learning how to throw a plate.

I call it a double walled pot. I have thrown smaller ones than 22" more in the range of 8-12 inches. They are a fun thing to do every so often.

Students get a kick out of it.

I find it interesting that they were worn on the arm as water jugs for peasants working in the fields. I have seen them made by contemporary potters in Spain and in archaeological museum all over Europe. They seem to be pretty universal.

Marcia

Archived