Anyone Have A Really Old Creative Industries Model Mp Wheel?

Hello,

I just bought a broken down Creative Industries Model MP from a friend but it is completely rusted over, blown fuse, everything wrong that could be wrong. Currently my husband and I are trying to rebuild the wheel and I found this link you started about finding the manual and I was wondering if there was any way you could spare a copy? I could mail a pre-stamped envelope to you or what ever is necessary. It would be really great, hope to hear from you!

Thank you so much!

Maureen

Hey everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new, very old Creative Industries Model MP potter's wheel - my first! I've been renovating it (new wheelhead, removing rust, repainting...) and will eventually need to replace a badly rusted foot pedal.

My question is: does anyone out there have an original owner's manual for these wheels? I'd really love to have a copy, and will happily pay for it!

Thanks, everyone - I look forward to participating in more discussions here!

Mickey Fielding

Terraforma Studio

I have an old Creative Industries MP wheel... must've bought around 1986 or so... direct from their factory... I drove down from L.A. and went and picked it up in El Cajon. I don't recall it even coming with an owner's manual back then, if it did... I don't have it anymore. I know that when I bought it Kenton Oakes had just recently purchased the company from the original owner, and they were just beginning to get their feet wet in the business. Recently, late last year I believe... Kenton sold the company to "Speedball" and they make the wheels now. I don't know what their customer service is like yet, but I suppose it will be interesting to see going forward. Have you tried contacting them yet? Sorry I couldn't be more help... good luck refurbishing your wheel.

- Ken

Hello, I ran across this when tying to research the wheel that I have recently obtained. Its a Creative Industries MP model. I have what appears to be, all of the original information/literature that must have come with it when it was new.

I have the following:

* A folding 2 page booklet with a photo of a bearded man on the front sitting in front of, and using, the pottery wheel. Above his photo it says Creative industries, variable speed electric potters wheel.

Inside there are descriptions of the product, more photos of various bearded men, throwing on the wheel, etc along with information such as , Function, Convenience O Structure, individual adaptability of the wheel, info on the build of the wheel, and on the build and strength of the motor, info on all of the models that were offered, options, Information on the warranty info, Information on the head torque and strength of each model, horsepower of each model, as well as the amount of weight that each model can center, etc... This pamphlet has 3 pages of information.

*A 2 page pamphlet titled: Owners Manual for Creative Industries Model HP and MP Wheels. This contains 2 printed pages w/out photos. With paragraphs on Motor, Control Box, Foot petal, Grounded Power Source Very Heavy Loads, Belts, Bearing Service, and Motor Brushes.

* one half page size Page with a diagram of the wheel. this is tittles Install Splash Guard As Shown Below.

*One half page size page with a diagram of the Wheel Head. Titled: Glide Installation and Wheel Head Adjustment

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of any or all of these just let me know....

Take care..

Hello. I would be very interested in having a copy and I'd gladly pay you. Could we talk about this via email? I'm new to this website so I'm not quite sure how to exchange messages. My email is hstohl@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from you, thanks in advance.

WE ARE A COOPERATIVE OF WOMEN IN MEXICO

bought an old wheel CREATIVE INDUSTRY MP

and are stuck with no splash guard....

can somebody help us to make one, any idea?

or is it possible to find an old one?

what are the options ....if there are some.

And

is it possible to receive a copy of the manual, please?

GRACIAS

And

GRACIAS

If You could post a picture of it and what it looks like under the wheel maybe a splash pan off a different brand could be fitted to it. We are very creative people. Just a thought . ain't clay fun Kabe

And

GRACIAS

I bought the CI MP brand new in the late 1980's. The original splash pan was incredibly flimsy and was replaced by one that appeared to be especially created as a replacement and I think, with a little ingenuity, could be designed from some of that bendable board that contractors use to frame up curbs. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days to give you an idea of what it looks like. I wish you were closer - I would love to donate my MP to your co-op, as it works well and, if it one wheel stops working you could use it for parts for the other. I will look for the manual as well.

I have attached the documents that I have from the Creative Industries MP that I purchased new in 1988. Two pages are the Owners' Manual and the other four pages are the Sales brochure sent to me from a supplier. This was all in a file folder and I am almost certain that it is all that was provided. Good luck!

I will try to get photos or the splash pan up soon.

Claybabe

DOC013012.pdf

DOC013012.pdf

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I just bought a broken down Creative Industries Model MP from a friend but it is completely rusted over, blown fuse, everything wrong that could be wrong. Currently my husband and I are trying to rebuild the wheel and I found this link you started about finding the manual and I was wondering if there was any way you could spare a copy? I could mail a pre-stamped envelope to you or what ever is necessary. It would be really great, hope to hear from you!

Thank you so much!

Maureen

Hey everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new, very old Creative Industries Model MP potter's wheel - my first! I've been renovating it (new wheelhead, removing rust, repainting...) and will eventually need to replace a badly rusted foot pedal.

My question is: does anyone out there have an original owner's manual for these wheels? I'd really love to have a copy, and will happily pay for it!

Thanks, everyone - I look forward to participating in more discussions here!

Mickey Fielding

Terraforma Studio

I have an old Creative Industries MP wheel... must've bought around 1986 or so... direct from their factory... I drove down from L.A. and went and picked it up in El Cajon. I don't recall it even coming with an owner's manual back then, if it did... I don't have it anymore. I know that when I bought it Kenton Oakes had just recently purchased the company from the original owner, and they were just beginning to get their feet wet in the business. Recently, late last year I believe... Kenton sold the company to "Speedball" and they make the wheels now. I don't know what their customer service is like yet, but I suppose it will be interesting to see going forward. Have you tried contacting them yet? Sorry I couldn't be more help... good luck refurbishing your wheel.

- Ken

Hello, I ran across this when tying to research the wheel that I have recently obtained. Its a Creative Industries MP model. I have what appears to be, all of the original information/literature that must have come with it when it was new.

I have the following:

* A folding 2 page booklet with a photo of a bearded man on the front sitting in front of, and using, the pottery wheel. Above his photo it says Creative industries, variable speed electric potters wheel.

Inside there are descriptions of the product, more photos of various bearded men, throwing on the wheel, etc along with information such as , Function, Convenience O Structure, individual adaptability of the wheel, info on the build of the wheel, and on the build and strength of the motor, info on all of the models that were offered, options, Information on the warranty info, Information on the head torque and strength of each model, horsepower of each model, as well as the amount of weight that each model can center, etc... This pamphlet has 3 pages of information.

*A 2 page pamphlet titled: Owners Manual for Creative Industries Model HP and MP Wheels. This contains 2 printed pages w/out photos. With paragraphs on Motor, Control Box, Foot petal, Grounded Power Source Very Heavy Loads, Belts, Bearing Service, and Motor Brushes.

* one half page size Page with a diagram of the wheel. this is tittles Install Splash Guard As Shown Below.

*One half page size page with a diagram of the Wheel Head. Titled: Glide Installation and Wheel Head Adjustment

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of any or all of these just let me know....

Take care..

Hi, just bought a MP Wheel, and an information on it would be so helpful. Please send me an email a mariposa259-ceramics@yahoo.com as to how I can get the info.

Thanks,

Peter

• 1 month later...

I'm still looking for a manual for the Creative Industries MP wheel. Mine is newly in my possession, and it sounds a little loud, like it could use some lubrication or cleaning , but I don't have any info on how to take it apart. Also, the pedal has very little travel between slow speed and high speed, and I'd like to know if I can adjust for that.

Thanks for any leads.

Peter

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but thought maybe someone would have some input. We just bought an old MP model and within the first fifteen minutes of use the wheel sounds like it is rubbing on the plastic table - or from the bottom of the table where it is attached. I have called and left a message for speedball but any idea how to adjust this? It doesn't seem to make any difference in the speed or torque but I don't want to do permanent damage. 

I am in the San Diego area - does anyone know of a technician who could look at it and make adjustments if I cannot figure it out?

Thanks!

Emily

Sadly, my significant Google Fu turns up mostly people asking for copies of the manual. :/

From what I've read on this search, Speedball dumped all but the Artistia and Boss lines, so you're not likely to get much help out of them for a really old CI wheel.  Can't hurt to try, though.

If you do get ahold of manuals, be sure to post them for the rest of the world.

CI  sold out long ago and many of its products are now made offshore -my take is quality went  to pieces 

The new american way.The mother company is speedball with a huge range of products

I use an old CI square steel stand  next to my brent wheel to store bats and my throwing clay pieces.Its well amde and has a solid plastic top with a hole in it from the wheel head penetration.

Mark

I bought two CI's in the day-80's, for the HS on their budget.  One MP, and  one HP. When I retired, they were still running strong. I demonstrated often on the HP as it had the torque that I liked, and could handle larger amounts of clay. The original splash pans were flimsy, but lasted about 8 years with kid use. Later splash was without a bottom with springs to hold it in place. Not bad, but not great either.  They were very well made, but after they were taken over, I saw a few in use. They were never the same as the originals.

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is old but thought maybe someone would have some input. We just bought an old MP model and within the first fifteen minutes of use the wheel sounds like it is rubbing on the plastic table - or from the bottom of the table where it is attached. I have called and left a message for speedball but any idea how to adjust this? It doesn't seem to make any difference in the speed or torque but I don't want to do permanent damage.

I am in the San Diego area - does anyone know of a technician who could look at it and make adjustments if I cannot figure it out?

Thanks!

Emily

Hi Emily- I realize this message is old, so you may have already found him: Richard at Freeform is very familiar with the old ci wheels. He knew the guys that started the company in El Cajon and still uses one of their old wheels today- the good ones.

Hi Mark- Yes, it's our only clay supply place in San Diego. Here's the link:

www.freeformclay.com

Richard has owned it for years and I know he knew the Ci people pretty well back in the day (El Cajon is only a few miles from here). I'm going to take the picture in later this week, to see if he has any ideas. The thing is, because the wheel sits so close to the edge of the table, I'll need to find something that will be stable there as well, I think? Will probably end up having my husband build something- he's an architect after all, so you'd think he'd be able to whip something up!?!? Hope he doesn't see this... I think my custom orders are starting to annoy him ðŸ˜

Ah, hah! That's interesting. It's a pretty solidly built wheel... and I know what you mean about the newer ones. I just started this journey last summer and the first wheel I brought home was a used clay boss which caused a few emotional breakdowns. Shudder... a very traumatic time. Although, on the positive side, learning (or more accurately, fighting) on that sub-par wheel makes me feel like I almost know what I'm doing on my Brent wheels... and the little Ci wheel I just brought home is about a hundred times better than that horrific beast that reduced this grown woman to years.

Thanks for all your input, Mark! If you find any other info on it, I'd be happy to hear it.

Lorijean

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to ceramics, new to forums/this forum... etc.. so thank you for having me! :) 

I recently bought a Creative Industries MP from craigslist wheel which, when I tried it out before I bought it worked great, and a few hours after use it started making this loud clicking sound when in use. Still works great... but is so loud! I also bought an artista table top wheel that ended up doing the same thing after about an hour of use... I sent the table top wheel back and they agreed it was defective, but any ideas? Could I just get any mechanic to look at the motor? Wouldn't mind the manual too! Thank you all so much! :) 

• 3 months later...

This is for Kilndoc,

I have a CI HP.  It will only run at full speed.  I was unable to control speed with the pedal.  I tested the pot in the pedal and found it bad.  I replaced the motor bearings as they were noisy I Just replaced the pot in the foot pedal and still am not getting speed control.   Wondering if there is a problem with the board,  who made the board or who might have a schematic for the control board or can do board repair on this board.  Would you be able to point me somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...