#21 MadMudder

MadMudder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMooreville, NC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I moved and my new "studio" is a garage.

I could not throw anymore. I was SOOOOOOO frustrated. Then I noticed (duh) that my garage floor sloped quite a bit. Made it easy to wash out but not very good for other things.

I put a level on my wheel and it was about a 1/4 bubble off the center. I put a nice piece of wood under the 3rd leg of my beloved Brent wheel and suddenly I could throw again. Had to line it up with the slope.

It doesn't take much to throw off throwing : ) but you should check the simple things for a problem. A studio I recently visited had throwing pins for sale. That way when someone wanted throwing pins they were less than a buck and can be put in and easily removed.

Beth
MadMudder

Remind me why I'm doing this????
-Beth Ward, Crone Potter

#22 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,896 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I moved and my new "studio" is a garage.

I could not throw anymore. I was SOOOOOOO frustrated. Then I noticed (duh) that my garage floor sloped quite a bit. Made it easy to wash out but not very good for other things.

I put a level on my wheel and it was about a 1/4 bubble off the center. I put a nice piece of wood under the 3rd leg of my beloved Brent wheel and suddenly I could throw again. Had to line it up with the slope.

It doesn't take much to throw off throwing : ) but you should check the simple things for a problem. A studio I recently visited had throwing pins for sale. That way when someone wanted throwing pins they were less than a buck and can be put in and easily removed.

Beth

For me, level does matter. If your wheel is out of level 2 degrees on a 9 inch cylinder what is the distance of top variation? Imagine what that is on a 28 or 36 inch cylinder. So I always level my wheel.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users