#1 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I am just starting out and looking to buy my own selection of underglazes. I have decided on the Amaco line but am not sure what I am missing in comparing their Velvet series and their Liquid Under Glaze (LUG) line. Can anyone tell me the differences between the lines?
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I went to an image transfer workshop a couple of years ago with AMACO'a Jeff Sandoe. They were introducing the LUGs. I think they are all rated for higher temperatures than the Velvets.
We used them for creating images on plaster slabs and pouring slip on top of the image. The slip dries and the image is inlaid into the surface. It was an interesting class.

Marcia

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

here is the answer from the Amaco site ...

http://www.amaco.com...nderglazes.html

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, Chris. That explains it better than anyone could.
Marcia

#5 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Chris. I checked out the site and some of their examples and decided to go with the LUG line at least to start. I've ordered both sets of the LUG 2 oz jars to try them all out. The velvets say they are semi translucent and the LUGs say opaque and for now as I learn how they are going to interact with each other and the kiln not dealing with the additional color interactions involved with translucent colors will be easier for me. I think anyway! As a painter inks are semi transparent and acrylic paints opaque and they each have to be used differently and their color reactions to the colors around and under them all have to be allowed for. This is my first time doing anything with clay so am figuring it out as I go. Thank you again for the link I actually saw they also have pastels and pencils that might be interesting to try as well.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users